Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2002, 05:46 PM   #131
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
quote:
Originally posted by Hayashi:
6 people died in the car. I hope, for the US's sake, that all 6 were truly guilty. Otherwise the US wouldn't be much better than the terrorists, would they?
ANYONE that was riding in the car with that Murderer *IS* guilty, and is as bad. Kill them all. I sure as HELL don't want my tax dollars going to feed and bed these assholes in a US Prison![/QUOTE]Perhaps it was a cab!

If anyone was captured they would end up in Cuba. I don't recall anyone complaining about tax dollars being spent there. The majority of those kept in Cuba will never be released. The US government have gone on record saying that even if it could be proved that they were innocent they would never be released.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 11-05-2002, 06:03 PM   #132
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Well, I don't exactly go to Entertainment Weekly for my war-on-terrorism news.
Nor do I, but that jape irritated me.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:07 PM   #133
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

A cab? LOL. Yeah, driver, take me the cave, and step on it. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Check out the shots. They got them traversing barren land.

[edit] Oh, and Donut. Not to pick on you, but yours is the only sig that slows down my machine. Don't know if my problem is unique among Ironworkers, just mentioning it.

For those of you still on the, "The US just kills willy-nilly" bandwagon, check out the following excerpts from the NY Times article. Further, I scold, chide, and glower at you for doubting first and checking your facts second. If the only thing you know about these events are what you read on this board, you should be wise enough to let the relevant facts come out before you post. Otherwise, do a few lazy-finger searches on-line. Information comes too easily these days for us to speculate.

Finally, you'll note the last paragraph: At war means at war. You kill enemies in war. That's why they call it war. If you arrested them, they'd call it police action, or detainment, not war.

NY TIMES:

The officials said the missile strike killed Qaed Salim Sinan al-Harethi, also known as Abu Ali, a man they described as the senior Qaeda operative in Yemen and perhaps one of the top dozen or so Qaeda figures in the world.
American officials said today that armed Predators had been flying over Yemen for some time, ready to strike in case targets came into their sights. In the attack on Sunday, the target was a car in northwestern Yemen. Its occupants in addition to Mr. Harethi were five people described as low-level Qaeda operatives. American officials said the Yemeni government had been kept informed about the operation.
Although officials said they were unsure if Mr. Harethi was directly involved in the Cole bombing, his leadership role in Al Qaeda in Yemen made him an important target of American efforts there.
The decision to use military force to attack Qaeda leaders in Yemen rather than to try to arrest them fits in with a broader administration view that the world is a battlefield in the campaign against terrorism, and that Qaeda operatives should be treated as enemy combatants.

"We're at war with Al Qaeda," a senior Pentagon official said earlier this year. "If we find an enemy combatant, then we should be able to use military forces to take military action against them."

[ 11-05-2002, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 11-05-2002, 06:13 PM   #134
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Perhaps it was a cab!

I don't think that they have taxicabs in the mountains of up-country Yemen.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:17 PM   #135
MagiK

Quote:
If anyone was captured they would end up in Cuba. I don't recall anyone complaining about tax dollars being spent there. The majority of those kept in Cuba will never be released. The US government have gone on record saying that even if it could be proved that they were innocent they would never be released.
I don't suppose you could post a link to that announcement by the US government that innocent people would not be released in any case? Or at least give me a date or a persons name so I can look it up. I did a google search on "Innocents not to be released" and came up empty. I need more specifics please.

Edit: for my usual typos and gramatical blunders.
Edit2: Had a friend do a Lexis Nexis search for me, can't come up with any official announcement that innocent people will be held.

[ 11-05-2002, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 11-05-2002, 06:49 PM   #136
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
A cab? LOL. Yeah, driver, take me the cave, and step on it. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Check out the shots. They got them traversing barren land.

[edit] Oh, and Donut. Not to pick on you, but yours is the only sig that slows down my machine. Don't know if my problem is unique among Ironworkers, just mentioning it.

The cab comment wasn't serious of course, it just made me laugh. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the death of terrorists.

As for the sig - I've used it on Ironworks for nearly two years now and nobody had complained before. I've always said that I would use it until a certain thing happened. The next opportunity that this happens is the 16th November. I have a sig made by Sazerac that I'll use when the unthinkable happens.

Hope it doesn't happen!!!!!!!!!!!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 11-05-2002, 07:15 PM   #137
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
I don't suppose you could post a link to that announcement by the US government that innocent people would not be released in any case? Or at least give me a date or a persons name so I can look it up. I did a google search on "Innocents not to be released" and came up empty. I need more specifics please.

Edit: for my usual typos and gramatical blunders.
Edit2: Had a friend do a Lexis Nexis search for me, can't come up with any official announcement that innocent people will be held.
I suppose I could. This is an article from the Washington Post of the 5th September 2002. The quote is in the second paragraph. I read the details in The Times. If Donald Rumsfeld didn't say this I expect he will be suing the arse off of Carter, the Post and the Times.

He probably won't though.

[ 11-05-2002, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: Donut ]
Old 11-05-2002, 07:19 PM   #138
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
quote:
Perhaps it was a cab!

I don't think that they have taxicabs in the mountains of up-country Yemen.[/QUOTE]Have you been there?
Old 11-05-2002, 08:59 PM   #139
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Have you been there?
Only in my dreams - nightmares, that is. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2002, 09:02 PM   #140
MagiK

Quote:
I suppose I could. This is an article from the Washington Post of the 5th September 2002. The quote is in the second paragraph. I read the details in The Times. If Donald Rumsfeld didn't say this I expect he will be suing the arse off of Carter, the Post and the Times.

He probably won't though.
Thanks I appreciate this, you will probably be assuming I was just being a smart ass but I was really interested.

Edit: Just wanted to say, I don't appear to have any problems with Donuts Sig.

[ 11-05-2002, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]