Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2004, 12:32 AM   #111
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Any other Americans out there PISSED OFF at these f-tards for doing this juvenile shit and making us look like Neanderthals?? Just curious.
Pissed off, disappointed, sickened.

One semantic point- I do not consider the actions "juvenile", that term is far too light. Bashing mailboxes and tee-peeing houses are activities I would term juvenile.

The willful acts of mistreatment, torture, abuse, and sexual intrusion I consider quite 'adult'.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:58 AM   #112
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

You know, Chewie, I don't consider it very "adult." Egregiously wrong, yes, but for "adults" I hold a standard of thoughtful review of one's actions. This stuff, these pictures, remind me more of high school locker room hazing and college (uni for you foreigners) frat hazing. Maybe I'm too idealistic on this point. I do realize adult hazing rituals do exist, and I'll point to organized crime gangs in the US and Russian army practices after the fall during the 90's as evidence -- however, I think that those are also "juvenile" acts, whether or not they were committed by adults. I will also point to the relative age of many of the MP's -- 20 to 25 year olds are still quite "juvenile" in my mind (I know I was then).

Regardless, they should be punished, as should anyone who caused or contributed to these acts (but I note that I want proof, not conjecture or scape-goat-ism). On that, I think we can agree.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:03 AM   #113
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

What's hazing exactly?
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 02:23 PM   #114
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

In simple terms, hazing is getting the shyte kicked out of you to prove that you can take punishment, in order to join a fraternity or club to prove what you're willing to go through for your "brothers". All initiates generally go through this ritual, though I can't say it's all that popular here in OZ other than in the army...we tend to bond more through drinking sessions or bashing each other in footy than hitting each other's backsides with a paddle...

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 04:24 PM   #115
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

First off, timber, try being involved with the military and looking at the actions of these "f-tards." believe me, the feeling is more than mutual... if anything it makes me probably more ticked than most civilians. at the same time, it also lends perspective to the situation that civilians won't understand... which is why i've called several things, like the retiring of rumsfeld, silly ideas when taken in the scope of fault.

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
In simple terms, hazing is getting the shyte kicked out of you to prove that you can take punishment, in order to join a fraternity or club to prove what you're willing to go through for your "brothers". All initiates generally go through this ritual, though I can't say it's all that popular here in OZ other than in the army...we tend to bond more through drinking sessions or bashing each other in footy than hitting each other's backsides with a paddle...
in regards to this, memnoch, you have an unclear understanding of what hazing is. hazing would better be defined as "forced participation in an act in order to show support of, dedication to, or unity with a cause or organization." your drinking sessions COULD under certains circumstances be considered hazing in the same way a gauntlet or pin pushing is considered... in fact, hundreds of college students have died from hazing involving alchohol consumption in hazing rituals...
Old 05-22-2004, 04:25 PM   #116
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
The dead have risen!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Its like MagiK!

errr... I'll get me coat...
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Barry the Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 05:25 PM   #117
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Thanks Mems. I might move to Oz, sounds just like home
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 11:40 AM   #118
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by promethius9594:

quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
in regards to this, memnoch, you have an unclear understanding of what hazing is. hazing would better be defined as "forced participation in an act in order to show support of, dedication to, or unity with a cause or organization." your drinking sessions COULD under certains circumstances be considered hazing in the same way a gauntlet or pin pushing is considered... in fact, hundreds of college students have died from hazing involving alchohol consumption in hazing rituals... [/QUOTE]Thanks for providing the dictionary definition of hazing, Prometheus and showing my lack of clarity on the issue. I may have neglected to mention that the difference with our drinking sessions is the fact that they are voluntary, which is contrary to your definition of hazing as being forced, mate. We can stop drinking when we want to.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 11:47 AM   #119
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

yes, mem, thats why i said they COULD be considered as hazing... under certain circumstances which were not made clear at the time. glad to know youre not into the hazing scene though.