Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 03:19 AM   #111
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:

And Dio...equating Liliara with the Nazi's was out of line too. Besides...if you want to be truly accurate, call her a McCarthyite.

And no, I'm not a sleeper either.

McCarthyite? Maybe, maybe not. I'm just me.

------------------

Captain of Bouncers, Boogre Bar

LH Member

And you never did think that it ever would happen again, in America did you? And you never did think that we'd ever get together again, but we damn sure fooled ya. We're walkin' real proud and we're talkin' real loud again, in America. And you never did think that it ever would happen again.... (Charlie Daniels)
Old 10-08-2001, 03:25 AM   #112
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Liliara:
McCarthyite? Maybe, maybe not. I'm just me.

LOL...Just a joke sweetie, just a joke.
Next time, I'll use more smilies.

------------------
"In Memorium of those who are gone, and all those that bought our freedom with their hearts blood!"

"May the Colors of Liberty never run"
Old 10-08-2001, 03:38 AM   #113
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

And Dio...equating Liliara with the Nazi's was out of line too. Besides...if you want to be truly accurate, call her a McCarthyite.

I personally like to think of myself as more of a kindred spirit to George Patton, or perhaps Harry Truman......I know, I know, hard shoes to fill, but what the hell. Even though the practice of making accusations of disloyalty (especially pro-communist activity..often unsupported) sounds quite like me, the attempt to restrict individual dissent or political criticism by claiming it is pro-communistic( or in these times pro-terroristic ) or unpatriotic may at times also be quite clear in expressing my standpoint. But then again what the hell....maybe I am a McCarthyite!..........I'm something!.LOL....LOL...

------------------

LH Member

And you never did think that it ever would happen again, in America did you? And you never did think that we'd ever get together again, but we damn sure fooled ya. We're walkin' real proud and we're talkin' real loud again, in America. And you never did think that it ever would happen again.... (Charlie Daniels)
Old 10-08-2001, 03:44 AM   #114
Pangur Ban

Quote:
Well, if you were a woman in Afghanistan who was beaten because you showed a miniscule portion of skin, who used to have a dignified job as a teacher or a doctor, but because of the Taliban could no longer feed your family because you weren't allowed to work, or a man taken out and shot because you didn't want to join the Taliban army, I would think you may look forward to a change of government. This is not the government these people started out with!

It would be apparent that there is a conflict between what is heard on the radio from the Taliban(television is not permitted) and the food and medicinal relief clearly shown on the packages to be American. At some point you would begin to doubt the oppresive forces.

As an Afghan citizen I might wonder why a nation that allegedly was waging war against Islam would bother to feed it's enemy.

Beneith it all, I think I would be hoping that a familiar world would once again be opened to me once it was over!

Let's certainly hope that what you say happens that way in the long term. I still think that in the short term - fear and uncertainty will dominate - and this is something can be exploited by Taliban propaganda.

You are right about the radio - according to the Australian national news broadcaster ( ABC radio ), the Taliban official radio has reported the strikes in the capital caused no casualties and no property damage!

Pangur Ban

------------------

--------------------------------------
We are the society for putting broken bedsteads into ponds, its a very special purpose that we do ....
Old 10-08-2001, 03:48 AM   #115
Bullvye
Dungeon Master

I didn't remember what the hell a McCarthyite was ......but after reading your post I can't say my view differs dramatically. LOL

[This message has been edited by Bullvye (edited 10-08-2001).]
Old 10-08-2001, 03:58 AM   #116
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Pangur Ban:
Let's certainly hope that what you say happens that way in the long term. I still think that in the short term - fear and uncertainty will dominate - and this is something can be exploited by Taliban propaganda.

You are right about the radio - according to the Australian national news broadcaster ( ABC radio ), the Taliban official radio has reported the strikes in the capital caused no casualties and no property damage!

Pangur Ban

You are right, the Taliban WILL use fear to dominate. Luckily, there are many intelligent people there (you don't get to be a teacher, or a doctor by being stupid) but many of the women have been teaching the young girls in secret. Hopefully, they can hold on for a little bit longer. They have defied the Taliban so far, they may yet continue to do so.

------------------

LH Member

Old 10-08-2001, 04:16 AM   #117
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Here is my reply.

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 10-08-2001).]
Old 10-08-2001, 04:18 AM   #118
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Some people, not I, but others I know, feel this is right out of the scriptures, especially the beginning of Revelations...thus in their minds...God's will IS being done because God told us this was going to happen and that after this and that is done, Jesus would come and the end of the world would be here, and the angles would blow the trumpets...etc.

I do not believe this is the opening of Revelations, and my church leaders have not said anything to make me believe so, but other churches ARE telling their congregations that this is the beginning of the end. People are probably looking for the signs written in the Book of Revelations, and feel that we are complying to what God has already told us we would do. So, in some people's minds...this is the will of God, Allah, Jehova, whatever...

P.S...it is 1:17am, and I am going to sleep now. Good night, everyone...~ blows kisses and stuff...
Ok, not to keep this all on a religious topic, as it was meant to be about the war, but quickly.. Larry for years and years there have been groups claiming this is the "End time" and this or that happening is the prophesied one that leads to the end.. but you know what? I agree with you, it's not, at least it hasn't been up to now! And if is, we'll not know. Because it was also written about the second coming that He would "come as a thief in the night", meaning we will NOT know when He is coming. All that interpreting of things to fit Revelations aside, I do believe that we won't know and must simply live faithfully and as if Christ was coming tomorrow. But that doesn't mean I condone things like terrorism or war and say they are God's will.

Uh sorry Liliara, I really didn't mean to off topic this again!

Back to the war everyone....

Cloudy aka Angeleyes

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 10-08-2001, 04:28 AM   #119
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Yorick! You moved your reply as I was quoting! Weird stuff.. LOL

Anyway, BRAVO! As usually, well written, cohesive and to the point!

Cloudy
Herald of the Life Source

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 10-08-2001, 05:22 AM   #120
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:

Nothing the pacifists or 'realists' say can change my mind or damper my mood.....

Yes, today was a GOOD day!

So I say again....HOW YA LIKE US NOW!?!?!?!?!?!?

It is necessary to take some action against these terrorists. There will be civilian casualties and these are to be regretted.

Hopefully the Taleban Government will implode and some form of stability be returned to the area (whatever that may mean in Afghanistan). This will allow bin Laden and his cronies to be eliminated and the humanitarian crisis averted.

So it's a necessary day, and it's a sad day, but on no terms could it be called a GOOD day. It will be a GOOD day when it is over.

Liliara, I'm afraid I am completely unable to reconcile your total belief in the one, true , loving God with your celebration of war. Why are you so happy that people are dying? On another thread (which has unfortunately been deleted) you advocated the dropping of a thermonuclear weapon on Afghanistan. I note that you wanted the innocent to be moved out first! This wasn't a knee jerk reaction on the Sept 11, but a considered verdict after four weeks.

I would consider my self an agnostic in terms of religion but I would ask that you don't offer to pray for me (just in case). I don't think it would be much of a reference.

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Don't mention the score - I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it!
Closed Thread