Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2002, 09:22 AM   #101
Legolas
Jack Burton

Nono, I'm not trying to take over the world (well, I won't admit it anyway).
Just... trying to bring some respect and understanding in the world, and get more people in kilts.
They won't even give me time off to do such noble charity work.
Old 11-01-2002, 09:26 AM   #102
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Lo everyone. Why is there a turkey by the logo? And when did the Beholder rank emerge? If possible it looks almost as bad as Apophis...just.

Legolas, world conquest? What will it take to divert you? Gold? kilts? Calaethis' head on a pike?

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 11-01-2002, 09:28 AM   #103
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

WHAT?! YOU *cough* cous wouldnt want my head.. I hope...
Old 11-01-2002, 09:32 AM   #104
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Calaethis Dragonsbane:
WHAT?! YOU *cough* cous wouldnt want my head.. I hope...
he might not but I do [img]graemlins/firedevil.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2002, 09:33 AM   #105
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

why Kat dear, you've already claimed me rememeber? you made me go tho that aabusrd cermony, so I'd be yours...
Old 11-01-2002, 09:35 AM   #106
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
Lo everyone. Why is there a turkey by the logo? And when did the Beholder rank emerge? If possible it looks almost as bad as Apophis...just.

Legolas, world conquest? What will it take to divert you? Gold? kilts? Calaethis' head on a pike?
Turkey by the logo => Thanksgiving. (American holiday, dear. )

Looks like I'm going to have to resurrect Hedda Gobbler again. Look out, antryg!

-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 11-01-2002, 09:37 AM   #107
Legolas
Jack Burton

Divert me from taking over the world? I wasn't planning to, but if you insist I suppose I can get you a list of demands
Don't cut off Cal's head yet though, I know in his heart he really wants to support me in my questing against Trouser Tyranny.

Anyway, I'm off for now. We'll liberate you all some other time, okay [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2002, 09:38 AM   #108
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Bye cous
Old 11-01-2002, 09:41 AM   #109
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Sure, have a good time. Enclosed is an e-mail with a free kilt. Hope your printer can deal with it

Thanksgiving? What's that? Why do you have it? And how come you have one more holiday than everyone else in the world? *blubs*
Old 11-01-2002, 10:03 AM   #110
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
Sure, have a good time. Enclosed is an e-mail with a free kilt. Hope your printer can deal with it

Thanksgiving? What's that? Why do you have it? And how come you have one more holiday than everyone else in the world? *blubs*
Actually, I think Canada has a Thanksgiving, too.

The origins of the U.S. Thanksgiving go back to the Plymouth Bay Colony (1620). When the first settlers had survived their first year against insurmountable odds, they decided to throw a harvest festival like had never been seen before in gratitude of their survival in the harsh New World. They had made friends with the native Americans (Iroquoit) of that region, namely a man named Squanto and his tribe, including their chief, Massasoit. They invited them to their gathering, which included all of the surviving colonists and the native american tribes. Every sort of food they had raised was on the table, including turkey (Squanto had shown them how to hunt the wild turkeys in the Massachussets woods for sustenance) and all the various types of fruits and vegetables they had grown. As a special treat, Squanto and his tribesmen brought something the colonists had never before seen: popcorn! The colonists vowed to celebrate in thanksgiving each year for their freedom and in thanks to Providence for allowing them to survive in a wilderness culture.

A century later, during the American revolution, a day of national thanksgiving was suggested by the Continental Congress, which included many of our famous statesmen and forefathers: John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, John Handcock, and Thomas Jefferson. In 1817, the state of New York became the first state to officially recognize Thanksgiving as a holiday. By 1863, it became a national holiday, ratified by President Lincoln, designating the fourth thursday of November as Thanksgiving day.

In Canada, Thanksgiving is celebrated on the 2nd monday in October.

Today, Thanksgiving is still a time for families to get together and "give thanks" for the bounty in their lives. It is also the official start of the Holiday season in the U.S., which goes on until the first of January. The friday after Thanksgiving is the busiest shopping day of the year in this country, with most merchants reducing their prices drastically to lure in holiday gift-buyers.

Cheers,
-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."