Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2002, 05:31 PM   #91
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffi0:
I know that, I wasn't complaining about your post. [img]smile.gif[/img] I was complaining about the fact that girls can say that they are better than guys at all sorts of things, but if a guy says guys are better than girls than they start screaming SEXIST! all over the place. One of my pet peeves...
Well, I was the only one who mentioned the pain thing so erm...
If that is what you were really ranting about, you might want to start a new topic.
FWIW, I agree with you to an extent, some women do seem to feel a need to assert that women "are smarter" "have more emotional insight" "are more in touch with their inner self" and all that bullshit - excusez le mot.
I don't think it's as bad as you say though.. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2002, 05:41 PM   #92
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
FWIW, I agree with you to an extent, some women do seem to feel a need to assert that women "are smarter" "have more emotional insight" "are more in touch with their inner self" and all that bulls**t - excusez le mot.
I don't think it's as bad as you say though.. [img]smile.gif[/img]
I hear women say that kind of thing all of the time, but I think that, more often than not, it is said in a light-hearted way, like an informal orgaization at my hospital among the nurses, etc., called W.A.M., or, women against men. Whenever I protest some outrageous thing that they say that "all men do," they pat me on the arm and say, "Oh, not you, Dr. A." Which makes me wonder... [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2002, 05:47 PM   #93
Melusine
Dracolisk

Hehehe... LOL "Not you, Dr. A" *pat pat pat*
I recognise that

And yes, it's often slightly sarcastic... except in the case of really dumb navelstaring bimbos who sadly DO exist and do take such crap seriously.
I know it's been examined how men's brains work differently from women's, but in the end most of the men vs women jokes are just that, jokes. Doesn't make them any less enjoyable
Old 11-20-2002, 06:01 PM   #94
Jeffi0
Zhentarim Guard

My elementary school principal took this to extremes. For things like Science Fair and school awards or sport MVP trophies, she would ALWAYS make sure that it went to a girl. Out of the five to ten science fair projects that went to the Science fair, one would be a guy's and the rest would be girls. One year there were no guys at all... I'll stop ranting though. Don't wanna get off topic, although it is a bit too late for that now .
<br /><br />[url]\"http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010302\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010302</a> First 8-Bit Theater comic. The first few aren\'t really funny, but the rest are great.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:14 PM   #95
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Hehehe... LOL "Not you, Dr. A" *pat pat pat*
I recognise that

Lesee, a partial list of things that "all men do" that I don't:

1.Watch football or other sports all day. (I cordially loathe professional sports)
2.Won't ask for directions. (I do this all of the time. I hate being lost.)
3.Cook (I cook three days a week and more if requested.)
4.Are babies about being sick and have to be waited on, hand and foot. (I don't like being dependant and rarely miss work, and even then just for half a day, if possible)
5.Think about sex all of the time and like to look at pretty women. (weeelll...)
And, yes, Melusine, I think that some of the jokes are pretty funny.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:43 PM   #96
Melusine
Dracolisk

I was talking about jokes about men as well as women, BTW! Just so you know...

And my boyfriend also hates to watch sports, and cooked dinner regularly, as well as doing other household chores (he's in Scotland now though ). And when we are going some place, it's always him that wants to ask for directions at the first sign of being lost, while I press stubbornly on saying that I know exactly where we are (and guess what, I'm usually right too ).
And defying the "rules" even further, when he is driving, I'm the one reading the map - and accurately, too! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2002, 06:49 PM   #97
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
I was talking about jokes about men as well as women, BTW! Just so you know...

And my boyfriend also hates to watch sports, and cooked dinner regularly, as well as doing other household chores (he's in Scotland now though ). And when we are going some place, it's always him that wants to ask for directions at the first sign of being lost, while I press stubbornly on saying that I know exactly where we are (and guess what, I'm usually right too ).
And defying the "rules" even further, when he is driving, I'm the one reading the map - and accurately, too! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Actually, Melusine, I find the jokes about men to be funnier than the ones about women. There is a patronising tone in the misogynist jokes that I do not care for. Good for your BF, I love to cook (usually), and I know what it is like to drive with a woman who is generally right.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:15 PM   #98
Jeffi0
Zhentarim Guard

I hate cooking. I just learned how to make Kraft Dinner, though... Except only in the microwave. Can't do it on the stove, I hate splasing boiling water on myself. TV dinners and fast food restaurants are there for me. [img]smile.gif[/img]
<br /><br />[url]\"http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010302\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010302</a> First 8-Bit Theater comic. The first few aren\'t really funny, but the rest are great.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:22 PM   #99
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Ah, but you are in the elementary division of cooking. You have not had the joy of taking a piece of beef, beef stock, sausage grease, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, and celery into a pot and have it come out a succulent pot roast that all your family and friends rave about. It is a feeling to treasure, I assure you. Besides, cooking stores have great things to browse through and buy.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:29 PM   #100
Jeffi0
Zhentarim Guard

Perhaps, but there is a difference between a "succulent pot roast that all your family and friends rave about" and setting one's clothes on fire.

I actually haven't done that yet, but some chicken I tried to make once lit on fire. That was a disaster...