Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2003, 09:27 AM   #91
Masklinn

I m really sorry if this particular post disapointed you Cloudbringer.

Though I think that on these particular topics, even if I get frustrated or annoyed (or insulted), this is my duty, as a french, to stay and discuss. I m sure you can understand me there

I will try to be more *cool* next time. Sorry again. (And I talk to the person, not the moderator)

Now Cloudbringer, did you ever try fries with mayonaise or vinegar ?
Old 03-17-2003, 09:37 AM   #92
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Moiraine, I just saw and responded to one of them. Am at work and must actually get back to work, but I'm truly disheartened by the nasty comments, and yes, even the damn subtitles are offending me now!!

I have NO animosity toward the French people whatsoever. In my personal opinion it's fine if they or their government disagree with me or mine, it's their right. I don't have to approve their politics or like how things go, but I surely don't feel a need to belittle you or Masklinn or anyone else because of their country's political stand. If you and I disagree, we can still be friends and I personally see no reason why everyone else can't do so or at least conduct themselves like civilized human beings. It pains me to see all the flaming, subtle or otherwise, based on ANYONE's nationality, rather than a debate on the issues that are disagreed on.

I'm a little on edge, myself, I think. I should be happily planning a wedding and enjoying the spring air we just got in my area but instead feel I have to come referee the insults and the bad feelings being shared around so this place doesn't explode.

BTW , Karlosovic, I was in MODERATOR mode when addressing your post.
Khazadman, see my post to karlosovic and take heed. I don't want to see any more baiting or deliberately intended insults to the whole nation of France.

OTH, I would ask our French members not to be TOO sensitive, as there are some comments being made that I don't feel are intended to insult you personally, but sometimes it seems you feel they are- most likely because of all the ones that do. My apologies if I've missed them or other mods have. We can't be everywhere, so if you feel something is really out of line or heavily flaming, please report the post, so we can know about it.

[ 03-17-2003, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 03-17-2003, 09:41 AM   #93
Moiraine
Anubis

Clouddy, I have often read that argument that US people have been bashed after 9/11. I can understand your frustration ... but look at it that way : never have them been bashed by French people here on IW. Masklinn and I are feeling frustrated because we are now and then getting insulted, while neither of us ever bashed anyone.

EDIT: Moiraine, I'm an idiot...well, distracted by people and phones.. forgive me! Somehow I ended up posting on your post, instead of COPYING it and answering.

[ 03-17-2003, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 03-17-2003, 09:44 AM   #94
Masklinn

Erm...
I bashed a cat once...
Old 03-17-2003, 09:49 AM   #95
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
I know it may be hard to understand, but many of us here who are American, felt that way on the war forum after 9-11. We felt our 'friends' were ragging on us, our hearts and souls were in agony and yet were were sitting here being villified for the war on terrorism as if we were the most hateful creatures in the universe...heck, I think even Smeagol/gollum was more loved then..

I have to disagree with this Clouds. I sometimes go back to the old war forum and to GD after Sept 11th. There is great support and sympathy for the US and for the American people for a long time after. I can't remember anyone here villifying the US for fighting terrorism, but there may be disagreement about how the war should be fought.

Of course there has been a lot of water under the bridge since then. US foreign policy seems to be designed to piss as many people off in the shortest time (The Rumsfeld Plan perhaps! ) As the US maintained it's unilateralist policies more and more countries turned against them. I hope that things return to normal soon.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 03-17-2003, 10:16 AM   #96
Moiraine
Anubis

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
I know it may be hard to understand, but many of us here who are American, felt that way on the war forum after 9-11. We felt our 'friends' were ragging on us, our hearts and souls were in agony and yet were were sitting here being villified for the war on terrorism as if we were the most hateful creatures in the universe...heck, I think even Smeagol/gollum was more loved then..

I have to disagree with this Clouds. I sometimes go back to the old war forum and to GD after Sept 11th. There is great support and sympathy for the US and for the American people for a long time after. I can't remember anyone here villifying the US for fighting terrorism, but there may be disagreement about how the war should be fought.

Of course there has been a lot of water under the bridge since then. US foreign policy seems to be designed to piss as many people off in the shortest time (The Rumsfeld Plan perhaps! ) As the US maintained it's unilateralist policies more and more countries turned against them. I hope that things return to normal soon.
[/QUOTE]I think things will go to a different 'normal' than what we know now. We'll see.

Back to fries, free or not - we in France have two different kinds : "frites", which are the classic rectangular ones, and "chips", which are dry fried thin slices of potatoes. Mayonnaise goes with both. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2003, 10:24 AM   #97
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
[qb]Clouddy, I have often read that argument that US people have been bashed after 9/11. I can understand your frustration ... but look at it that way : never have them been bashed by French people here on IW. Masklinn and I are feeling frustrated because we are now and then getting insulted, while neither of us ever bashed anyone.
----------------

I understand that, Moiraine, and appreciate it very much. [img]smile.gif[/img] Unfortunately there are people around these days who just don't realize what they are saying...or more than likely DO realize but don't stop and think how it comes across or who it makes fun of/insults. Don't let that stop your voice nor make you feel bad. You aren't the one who should be ashamed of your posts, they are. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I believe that everyone can have and should have their own opinions, and nobody should be expected or forced to comply with a 'general' opinion just because it's the most 'accepted' or more popular or even 'politically correct' one. I staunchly support everyone's right to disagree. But IW does not condone flaming or harrassing someone based on their nationality and you can take that a step further to mean that no one should be harrassed because of their country's politics. Sometimes we feel that way, no question. Sometimes for good cause and sometimes just because we've gotten to be extra sensitive. Whichever is the case, I hope things tone down.

Donut, you can disagree, but it doesn't change my feelings on the subject nor my memory of the events. There was definitely some opinion being expressed that the US deserved what happened and then some- hell, remember Diogenes? And that's not the only time it was expressed. I'm certainly not saying that everyone at the war forum or IW was 'anti' america or such, but then not everyone is anti-France right now, but look how awful it makes Masklinn or Moiraine feel.

It doesn't always take an army...just a few sharpshooters...to do some damage.

[ 03-17-2003, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 03-17-2003, 10:35 AM   #98
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Enough of this unpleasantness. I suggest we get this back on topic i.e. chips/frites/fries and the consumption thereof.

My vote goes to poutine

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 03-17-2003, 10:42 AM   #99
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
Enough of this unpleasantness. I suggest we get this back on topic i.e. chips/frites/fries and the consumption thereof.

My vote goes to poutine
LOL...uh strictly speaking, Mouse, the topic of the thread is the changing of the name of the food in the US congressional cafeteria, I think...

But I love fries by any name... too much methinks! *eyes hips and shakes head*
Old 03-17-2003, 10:42 AM   #100
Masklinn

Lol Mouse [img]smile.gif[/img]
Poutine...from our Quebec cousins...its quite nice..

At least they dont put vinegar in it !