Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2001, 08:00 AM   #91
Leagle
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:

Also, just so I don't go totally off-topic, the worst thing about America is that most of the world has formed opinions about us based on our elected representatives... that is so embarassing.
Actually this is not true. I have lived all around the globe and my opinions are firmly based in rock-steady fact. But letting Bush get in was horrendous.

But if I want to trace my roots...

We will not go into my father's background, as it is still under discussion. (As an extended family we are trying to sort out our roots -some older members know, in fact we have a line right back to spain, but that is only one piece.)

Father: Trinidad.
Mother: Father: Scottish family settled in Wales. Mother was 1/2 Irish, 1/2 English. Father Welsh Scottish.(His family line settled in Wales, they introduced one of the main kinds of hill sheep there.)
Mother: Scottish. Streches far back, maybe Irish connection, doubtful. (And if so, it would be ridiculously small.)

That would make my mother 1/8 English, 1/8 Irish, 1/4 Welsh/Scottish 1/2 Scottish.

I am from these simplified stats. (I will check next time I am in Wales) 1/16 English, 1/16 Irish, 1/8 Welsh 1/4 Scottish, 1/2 Trinidadian. I am probably more Welsh than this, as I may have muddled generations. But then, we become what we settle with and My mentioned grandfather's family has pretty firm roots in wales, stretching several generations.

More simply put, 1/4 Welsh, Scottish, 1/2 Trinidadian.

I wonder how much typing that was...

[This message has been edited by Leagle (edited 06-08-2001).]
Old 06-08-2001, 10:39 AM   #92
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Leagle:
If we are all "Europeans", that would make my Trindadian father "American". I do not appreciate that.
My most sincere apologies for any offense you took in my comment, my friend, I was joking. Forgive me?

Moni

------------------

Old 06-08-2001, 10:42 AM   #93
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by antonius:
The really scary thing is that in the election yesterday - the British National Party (rascist scum) managed to get over 25% of votes in Oldham - when you consider that "Ethnic Minorities" also voted (presumably not for the BNP) that means something is very wrong.

As to what to do - it's taxed better minds than mine.

Compare that dilema to the U.S A. having George W. Bush as President and the manner in which he was "elected". Things are wrong everywhere!

Moni

------------------

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 06-08-2001).]

Old 06-08-2001, 11:25 AM   #94
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by antonius:

The really scary thing is that in the election yesterday - the British National Party (rascist scum) managed to get over 25% of votes in Oldham - when you consider that "Ethnic Minorities" also voted (presumably not for the BNP) that means something is very wrong.

As to what to do - it's taxed better minds than mine.

The BNP got just over 16% of the vote in one of the Oldham constituencies and 11% in the constituency where the recent riots were, but I agree that even this is far to much.

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas

[This message has been edited by Donut (edited 06-08-2001).]
Old 06-08-2001, 12:00 PM   #95
Jimbo
The Magister

I think the problem is with Rikard and Ziroc.

I did that to strike a nerve on what I call posting an opion and not giving any facts. I personally don't think it is Rikards or Ziroc's fault, was just using that as an example. Blind statements that say it's Bush's fault, is okay, but why? What facts can you bring up that can tell us why you think that way? Is it because your family grows broccli and you all are upset that he won't eat it? Is it because he was over at a party and drank all your beer and started hittin' on your girls? Was it because at the StephenWolf Concert he bogarted the doobie when it went around? Is it because he won the election because the democrats screwed up (it is very ironic if you ask me). Is it because he is from Texas, and when you went to Texas, you got your asskicked because you said the war between the states was over slavery and you asked for beans in your chili? Come on! as a tabloid says, Inquiring minds want to know!

More latter...

------------------
Drink and be merry
Jimbo
"Renegade, Rebel, and Rogue"
Old 06-09-2001, 07:50 AM   #96
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
The BNP got just over 16% of the vote in one of the Oldham constituencies and 11% in the constituency where the recent riots were, but I agree that even this is far to much.
Apologies for incorrect figures - I'd not checked them, but just taken an approximation that I'd seen somewhere else. I actually saw a TV interview with someone who when asked why he'd voted for BNP said (paraphrase)

"I'm not rascist and have lots of Asian friends, but everybody else I knew was voting for them. I don't know why I did"

Huzzah for democracy.
Old 06-09-2001, 09:22 AM   #97
Gaelic
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
Compare that dilema to the U.S A. having George W. Bush as President and the manner in which he was "elected". Things are wrong everywhere!

Moni

Gotta love the ministry of disinformation, I mean, news media.

------------------
Gaelic
Old 06-09-2001, 09:25 AM   #98
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

Question on the US election?

Are the ballot papers actually counted in every state? I got the impression that it was decided purely on TV exit polls leading to a concession, and that the count would only be significant if it were close.
Old 06-09-2001, 09:29 AM   #99
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

ain't a Yankee! are an Americian!

America is now accepting bids for President Bush...

waiting...
waiting...

anyone?
Old 06-09-2001, 09:31 AM   #100
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by adam warlock:
ain't a Yankee! are an Americian!

America is now accepting bids for President Bush...

waiting...
waiting...

anyone?
Already said somewhere - swap you your Bush for my Blair.