Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2003, 11:19 AM   #31
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Chewbacca, I appreciate lots of your post above. However, there is also finding inner peace and not using violence because you want to or can, but because justice demands it. The home invader in my home is going to get attacked. I don't have a gun (yet), but I will go after him if he does not retreat. I know of 3 households where everyone was murdered by a home invader when I lived in Syracuse. Justice demands I not let that happen to me. It ain't about fear of death (else I would do nothing) and it ain't about hate or anger -- it's about the moral imperative to ensure the invader not be allowed to effect an injustice on another, be it me or someone else.
I agree, but if force or action (not violence) is the decision made to remedy to the situation, a cool-head is much more likely to prevail. Ask any martial arts master. I was not refering to "inner-peace" per se, but the inner discipline required to find a sense of that peace, and the clarity of mind that accompanies it admist a turbulent atmosphere of fear.

My home invasion example really happened to me. Although I was caught by suprise by a perp armed with a pistol, I regained my presence of mind quickly enough to ascertain his motives, get a gut-check on the level of violence I was facing, and get a very good look at the perp in a mirror which lead to his conviction. Justice served. And if I had become a murder victim that day, I would have died with peace, not fear in my heart. I can think on no better way to go.
[img]smile.gif[/img]

edited for clarity. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-19-2003, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 05-19-2003, 11:25 AM   #32
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Chewy that was really great...I do think in the end though that pacifism would lead to extinction. Only when ALL creatures, human and animal cease to endanger those around them can pacifism actually be considered a survival oriented strategy....

Im not sure I know anyone who doesnt exhibit some form of restraint...I don't bash my neighbors head in for mowing his lawn at 7:00am on Sunday.....or at least....not yet
Yeah, we humans have a long way to go before pacifism becomes truly a stage in our evolution, but as a dreamer I am, I believe it'll happen eventually.

Whew I am glad my neighbors refrain from Sunday 7:00am lawn-mowwing. That could lead me to thoughts of violence.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:54 AM   #33
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I am a passive aggresor by nature. Just yesterday, some people were arguing about driving to fast on our road outside and I walked up to kinda referee the altercation. I use my agresion to make sure the altercation stays physicaly passive, if that makes any sense. In other words, I am a bouncer at heart. I use my size and intimidating stance to keep things from getting out of control. Kinda like the US, in my opinion. Sometimes the agresion needs to take over to protect the weaker from being victimized. Once again, like the US. This can be percieved as arrogent, but I see it as an obligation. The passive part of me wants and hopes the aggresive side will not be needed, but sometimes is, once again like the US. Just my little analogy on this issue.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:03 PM   #34
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
I am a passive aggresor by nature. Just yesterday, some people were arguing about driving to fast on our road outside and I walked up to kinda referee the altercation. I use my agresion to make sure the altercation stays physicaly passive, if that makes any sense. In other words, I am a bouncer at heart. I use my size and intimidating stance to keep things from getting out of control. Kinda like the US, in my opinion. Sometimes the agresion needs to take over to protect the weaker from being victimized. Once again, like the US. This can be percieved as arrogent, but I see it as an obligation. The passive part of me wants and hopes the aggresive side will not be needed, but sometimes is, once again like the US. Just my little analogy on this issue.
Uh-Oh ***Mag's ducks for cover!***