Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2002, 10:30 AM   #11
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
that was beautifull moiraine.
Old 06-07-2002, 10:51 AM   #12
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
I wouldn't say that other countries "hate" Americans, Caleb. [img]smile.gif[/img] Maybe it's more of an non understanding in differences in cultural attitudes ...

Here's an example of what I mean, from France. Culturally, when talking to someone, the people from Africa put a smaller physical distance than we Europeans do. It means that, if you are an European person not consciously aware of that fact, everytime you talk to an African, you will get the primitive and unconscious feeling that he is aggressing you, while it's just a matter of different cultural stances. Hence many Europeans feel insecure about immigration from Africa, and hence the Africans feel we Europeans are cold people. While if both were aware of that small fact, relations would greatly improve ...

You U.S. people tend to have in common a very independant attitude, basically saying "we don't need others, we can manage on our own". Now that's a deeply ingrained cultural attitude dating back from a time when such an attitude was necessary for survival. Considering that the people who made the trip to America back then already had a strong thread of independance and courage.

Now combine that stance with the fact that you are currently the most powerful nation in the world, since the collapse of the communist group ... and basically what the rest of the world unconsciously perceive is that you don't give a damn about what they, we, might think or do ... which is NOT what you mean, consciously.

That's why, IMHO, understanding other people's cultures and make that knowledge widely spread is the most important thing we have to manage. Understanding against ignorance, knowledge against fear and hate. Using our brains instead of our guts ... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sounds like a pretty fair and reasonable explanation to me Moiraine. A lot of things can get messed up because of differences in cultural communications. Language differences do NOT help either.

[ 06-07-2002, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 06-07-2002, 10:55 AM   #13
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Charean:
That was a real sweet and thoughtful gesture. That support means a lot to me, anyway. My ex-husband was in the Pentagon, the South side, when it was hit. The Pentagon isn't in the news much, but is should be. They are busy reconstructing as well, and they lost a lot of people. Luckily my ex survived.. even if it was down the hall.

I knew there were some good cultures out there... I am glad this hit the news.

Remember the love that was in this country for about a month after the attack? We as Americans would say hello to each other again, start conversations with people we didn't know - we felt like a community instead of a group of people who happen to live on a piece of land.

I miss that feeling.

This has resurrected some of that for me. When you give from the heart, you create that feeling in others. I am hoping this will get a LOT of press time. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Charean, that is a great sentiment, and I agree whole heartedly. All it takes is a few random acts of kindness as someone posted in another thread. If we each act with courtesy and dignity I think that feeling can happen again.