Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2003, 06:56 AM   #11
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
I know it sounds simple enough, but this sort of thing has been done in the past and has caused some people to have hurt feelings or to leave altogether. Even though nobody intends to do it, there's always someone who feels slighted or left out- so it's very hard to do a thread like this without making at least a few people feel bad.

I'd suggest only VERY generic 'awards' like 'best overall thread' if you feel you must do it. Anything relating to individuals can backfire on you if we aren't very careful.
I take on board what you say cloudy.

First being newish to the board I did a search and could not find anything like this before, so if someone out there has done it before, my sincere apologies.

Second I agree totally with what you say about generic awards and it would be my aim to keep it that way.

Thirdly I would ask people to pm me their suggestions and LINKS so as not to upset people or create a vote for me I’ll vote for you mentality.

I will not rush into this and will give this thread some time to produce suggestions and points on the IDEA of an award night. Before I collect the best thoughts and run with them I will make a detailed plan and run it by you and the other mods for your approval. If you guys think it might not work then I would gladly let it slip and move on without a grudge. You guys do the hard work and I would not want to be seen as an upstart who takes over causing mayhem and anger.

lastly..*phew* What about the awards night good people of Ironworks? Good Idea or not?

[ 02-17-2003, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: wellard ]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 02-17-2003, 08:39 PM   #12
wellard
Dracolisk

Shameless "BUMP"

so far judging by the lack of responses it might be an better to let this idea go. "drop the dead donkey" is I think the cockney expression.

So this is its one last chance. Anyone else have an opinion on an awards night? good or bad? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 02-17-2003, 10:25 PM   #13
Jeffi0
Zhentarim Guard

"4) best signature"

Nobody cares about the duck with shoes!
<br /><br />[url]\"http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010302\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010302</a> First 8-Bit Theater comic. The first few aren\'t really funny, but the rest are great.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:57 PM   #14
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
Shameless "BUMP"

so far judging by the lack of responses it might be an better to let this idea go. "drop the dead donkey" is I think the cockney expression.

So this is its one last chance. Anyone else have an opinion on an awards night? good or bad? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]
Sorry, but it may be for the best, Wellard. Like I said before, alot of people got their feelings hurt by either being included under topics that they felt embarassed or insulted by, or by not being included at all, when this was tried over a year ago. We only had ONE such tread that ever went without major flame or hurt feelings and at the time there were maybe 30 people posting on that board (old blue board). We have a much larger and more diverse crew now.
Old 02-18-2003, 02:46 AM   #15
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Can I vote for the Dwarven Thropwing thread(s)? That was one hilarious riot, and the only one that actually got me to chuckle (instead of smiling to myself).
Old 02-18-2003, 06:57 PM   #16
sylent
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffi0:
"4) best signature"

Nobody cares about the duck with shoes!
I've never seen a duck look so elegant, sleek, and ready for a marathon [img]smile.gif[/img] . An equisite example of a race bread duck.

about the awards, cloudy's got a point... if done in the right spirit, they can be good fun, but often people end up feeling left out for being a less 'boistrous' poster (it takes all kinds ). It can get pretty ugly, or it can be a real boost, its hard to know how its going to turn out. I'm not really either for or against it though.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:41 PM   #17
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
With the permision (yet to be attained) of the general discussion moderators I was thinking of compiling a list of awards that could be given out at the end of the year. Such awards as :-

1) funniest thread
Never finished BG1 or played BG2 - but I have read Charlie's Shoppe of Shite - artwork at it's best.

2) funniest post
Click, woomph, splat - a post from Moni in the W&W forum dramatising her efforts to get her party to ride the cart in the stout mines - forget the actual name of the thread - was by Efreeti Geenie (now called Nanobyte) and was about funny things in W&W.

3) best comeback or putdown
First second and third nominations are all by Donut - take your pick on his best post, but subtitlety is at its most effective when it has been completely misunderstood - seeing as how I should vote for a post - then I chose the comeback he made to MagiK's post about the Aussie Policeman - wasn't heavily subtitled, but boy was it quick and effective.

4) best signature
Can't go past the sultry elflet archbabe

[/QUOTE]Can I vote for Davros in the "Worst font colour choice" category?

I think it's a good idea, but as it would be quite subjective, may be a little unsafe...
Old 02-19-2003, 01:23 PM   #18
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Nice try, wellard, really! I wish such things could be done without any problems, but such is life on the net!

You know, you could have awards for 'funniest thread', 'best serious thread', most intriguing thread or thought provoking etc... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2003, 03:10 PM   #19
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I think Cloudy's idea is great! But be nice about how you go about the awarding.. ya know?

And it can't be called 'Ironworks Awards' because it's not 'Officially' done by me [img]smile.gif[/img] --I know.. but it's a legal issue. covers my bee-hind.

Closing this thread now folks!