Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2002, 07:59 AM   #1
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Quote:

Ananova:

Head and deputy accused of taping boy's mouth shut resign

A headteacher and her deputy suspended over claims that they taped shut a boy's mouth on a school trip have resigned.

Hilary Mynott, head of Lyons Hall County Primary School in Braintree, Essex, and assistant headteacher Chris Webb were accused of carrying out the punishment on Ryan Scott, 10.

A spokesman for Essex County Council, said: "The governors have carried out an investigation into the allegation and the report is completed.

"Disciplinary proceedings would then have been heard. The two teachers offered their resignations which were accepted.

"The report will go to the education department to make a decision on whether they will be allowed to return in some capacity to the classroom."

Ryan's mother Sharon claimed Ryan was pinned down when he started swearing and misbehaving during a week-long camping trip to Wales in June.

It was claimed the teachers taped his mouth shut, sat on him and held his nose. A police investigation was not held into the alleged incident.

The teacher were suspended after Mrs Scott lodged a complaint about her son's treatment
I want to know what you all think about this. I think that what the teachers did was wrong , but I dont think that they should have resighned over the incident.I also think that the boys mother should hold some of the responsibility for the incident since by her own admission he was " swearing and misbehaving". Maybe if she didnt raise such a little monster this whole incident wouldnt have happened.I know that when I was 10 I wouldnt have even entertained the thought of cursing at my teachers.
Old 10-23-2002, 08:16 AM   #2
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

Hang on a second

It was claimed the teachers taped his mouth shut, sat on him and held his nose.

Don't people usually die when they can't breathe ?
Old 10-23-2002, 08:16 AM   #3
Legolas
Jack Burton

Taping the kid's mouth shut is taking it a little far, but I suppose that it's acceptable under some circumstances. Sitting on him and holding his nose closed, on the other hand, is definately crossing the line. You just don't do that, period. The last part is also why I think their resignation was the right thing to do.

As to whose fault it actually was, I imagine the boy was a real pest for the teachers to act like that. You could say that therefore it was the parents' fault, but you really don't know that much about the situation to judge it properly.
Old 10-23-2002, 08:30 AM   #4
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I swore at my teachers when I was 10. Hell, when I was 8 I left a note on my teachers desk telling her she was a "pain in the f**king neck". I got in alot of trouble of course, but still. I'm not a little monster now, I'm a pretty lawful kinda guy really.
On topic- they shouldn't have been 'forced' to resign (ie: the careers are OVER), but they should definately recieve some sort of official reprimand for their 'disciplinary techniques'. As Warhammer stated, cutting off his breathing threatens his very life.