Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2002, 12:55 AM   #1
Willard
Fzoul Chembryl

Well, it's here. West Nile. The birds contracted it, the mosquitoes carried it, and now it has made its way to Vermont. Just in the next county they found a lot of dead birds and a dead horse, killed by the disease. A lot of people are afraid to even go outside now, but being surveyors our company works outside all the time. Bug repellent doen't work, because sweat washes it off in a few minutes. I think that the only way to get rid of West Nile is to counter it with sprays while scientists find a cure. What do you think about this issue?

[ 08-24-2002, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: Willard ]
Old 08-24-2002, 12:59 AM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Not sure what you mean.
Old 08-24-2002, 01:12 AM   #3
Moni

It is pretty scary. It has made it to San Antonio Texas too and a woman in Houston died from it recently.
I am glad we emptied our pond! We had a big mosquito problem prior to doing that. It is not filled in and filled up again from the rain, but with no fish or plants in it now I was able to dump a half gallon of bleach into it...mosquitos won't have anything to do with it (*whew*)
Still, we have plants out back that require watering and one in particular seems to be mosquito haven, BUT we have toads and I am hoping they are gluttons lol because the mosquito population back there seems to have dropped since all the baby toads showed up and we have some lizards (geckos & chameleons sp?) out front still (the cats like killing them) but I think there are enough to keep the generations continuing...they also have a few safe spots out back.

Johnny, the west nile virus is carried by mosquitos and causes encephalitis-like symptoms (swelling of the brain) that kill. It made it to America via New York City in 1998 and has been spreading across the country at an alarming rate this year.

[ 08-24-2002, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: Moni ]

Old 08-24-2002, 01:12 AM   #4
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Mosquitos never seem to bug me much. But there is some sort of Mosquito off that seems to do the trick. I forget what its called though.

Johnny: The West Nile Virus is a virus that is spreading through the states pretty quickly that is carried by mosquitos.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 08-24-2002, 01:16 AM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Okay, thanks Moni and Iron ranger, don't mind my ignorance, but i thought this was going to be a discussion about some new computervirus. I never heard of this, but it sure sounds scary.
Old 08-24-2002, 03:38 AM   #6
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Last report I read about this virus only very rare cases actually end in death. If you do get bitten by a mosquito watch for flu-like symptomes.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 08-24-2002, 10:13 AM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Since my daughter loves to play outside alot, I am daily going out there to check for standing water anywhere that it may gather and cleaning it out. I know that most of the deaths have occurred in Louisiana, and there seems to be more human cases there than all other states combined...but why take the chance?

Russian Roulette is not a game for the life of my family.
Old 08-24-2002, 10:20 AM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

If you want to have more information, you can go Here to read about it.

So far, 16 people have died out of 371 infected.