Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2002, 05:08 PM   #11
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Aviendha:
Johnny is never wrong! He has beer!
Old 07-31-2002, 06:47 PM   #12
Azred
Drow Priestess

Slackerboy nailed it--most Americans speak very poorly and in a very lazy manner. I will revert to colloquialism when at home (for the most part) but in my previous job (which required being on the phone quite often) I was very particular in my speech, including the use of "whom", correct application of the subjunctive case, and making sure never to end sentences with prepositions. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 07-31-2002, 07:32 PM   #13
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Any way one would look upon it, the use of "me neither' in a sentance constitutes improper use of the english language.
Old 07-31-2002, 07:42 PM   #14
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
What is "proper English" anyway ? And who speaks it ? If an Englishman who studied Dutch for two years came to Holland and had a conversation with me, i'm pretty sure he doesn't understand half of what i'm saying. Too much slang and words that only exist in the streets, you won't find that in any books. I don't think there are that many people who speak proper English, or proper Dutch, or whatever kind of language.
Old 07-31-2002, 07:55 PM   #15
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
What is "proper English" anyway ? And who speaks it ? If an Englishman who studied Dutch for two years came to Holland and had a conversation with me, i'm pretty sure he doesn't understand half of what i'm saying. Too much slang and words that only exist in the streets, you won't find that in any books. I don't think there are that many people who speak proper English, or proper Dutch, or whatever kind of language.
Oh shut up. Everybody knows im right and youre wrong but nooo, you still try to make yahself look good [img]tongue.gif[/img] ..
"Proper English" is the way it was written and is truly correct. Um, I think the englishman would understand. I belive the guys in England are enough smart to understand when another person speaks in correct english.
Btw, that street "Whazzup, homies!?" thing is in America .
Old 07-31-2002, 08:02 PM   #16
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I know that dude, but as long as i can make myself clear in English, i don't give a rats ass if it's proper English or not. I bet you don't speak proper Estonian either !
Old 07-31-2002, 08:53 PM   #17
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
I know that dude, but as long as i can make myself clear in English, i don't give a rats ass if it's proper English or not. I bet you don't speak proper Estonian either !
I am capable of speaking both proper and improper english but yes, i sure do talk with slang words and stuff
Old 08-01-2002, 04:57 AM   #18
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by slackerboy:
Basicly, it is incorrect. It is poor english.
and it is used very commonly. Americans dont speak
english very well
Neither do Londoners. It's time you all started to talk proper english like what I do!

I use 'me neither' in conversational english:

Lanesra 'I can't 'kin stand those Tottenham tosspots!'
Donut 'Me neither!'
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 08-01-2002, 08:32 AM   #19
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
See ? Listen to Donut, he is always right Well, mostly.... [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2002, 06:26 PM   #20
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by slackerboy:
Basicly, it is incorrect. It is poor english.
and it is used very commonly. Americans dont speak
english very well
SAME WITH CANADIANS!!!! At least me. Us canadians don't got no grammar skills