Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2002, 06:14 PM   #11
Jorath Calar
Harper

I probably won't see it up here... and if it was visible, it would be to bright...
Old 06-10-2002, 06:16 PM   #12
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Maybe I should start goin there more often!

PS. Z I've pmed you and emailed you about 2 things but I've got no reply yet. Could you please try and possibly reply to them for me? Thanks!
Old 06-10-2002, 08:39 PM   #13
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
Woa! Thats gorgeous! Its annual? Where does it occur annualy?
Not "annual", but "annular"; meaning ring-like. Because the moon appears smaller than the sun in this particular eclipse, it leaves a ring of sunlight around it.

Cheers,
-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 06-10-2002, 10:19 PM   #14
Moni

Well I caught a glimpse of it as I left the grocery store this evening *unavoidable sun in the eyes* lol...for the fraction of a second I saw it, it looked to be about 65+% coverage here, just southwest of San Antonio.

The trees on the next block were too tall to make a pinhole camera and there was partial cloud cover so I didn't bother with thinking about it beyond that short period of time when I was trying to get my visor down fast enough to see where I was going.

I had the good fortune to experience a total eclipse of the sun in Tucson a few years back.
A buddy of mine at work brought six 1-inch-thick plates of welder's glass and we taped three of them together each and checked it out through the black glass periodically.
It was awesome when the sun disappeared and the sky got "weirdly dark" at two in the afternoon (we were completely in the moon's shadow)! Seeing the full moon (no eye protection needed at this point) with a faint glow around its edges was definitely unforgettable.
Thanks for the heads up Rudy and I hope you all had a good show!

Old 06-10-2002, 11:18 PM   #15
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Moni, that is so weird! The exact same thing happened to me as I was leaving Albertson's in Denton...I came over a rise on the freeway and there was the setting sun with a huge chunk taken out of its left side...looked like a huge glowing orange that someone had taken a bite out of! I was so thrilled to get to see it. Hopefully I didn't damage too many retinal cells, but a lot of times one can look at the setting sun without too much concern.

Glad you got to see it, too! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 06-10-2002, 11:24 PM   #16
Moni

LOL Cool!
It was still early enough here that I had no choice but to look away fast...I know what you're talking about though, later in the day when you can look at the sun and not go immediately blind...such was not my case. [img]smile.gif[/img] But hey, I did get to see a total eclipse happen through welder's glass once so life ain't all that bad!

[ 06-10-2002, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: Moni ]

Old 06-11-2002, 12:04 AM   #17
Azred
Drow Priestess

Unfortunately, I missed this one--too many trees and buildings obscuring the view. I have seen others, though--you really should purchase at least a reasonably-priced telescope (you don't have to have the really powerful ones, unless you are serious). The one I caught through the telescope also included some solar flares--amazing!
Thanks for the links, Ziroc.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.