Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2001, 09:17 AM   #1
Donut
Jack Burton

Yorick's Uruguay at war with Australia brough back memories of the time New Zealand threatened to declare war on Australia:

The Underarm Incident

If New Zealand was ever to declare war on Australia, the events of February 1, 1981 at the MCG would have tipped the Kiwis over the edge. This was the day of the infamous ‘Underarm Incident’, a cricketing low-point that was criticised by Prime Ministers on both sides of the Tasman.

It was the third final of the 1980/81 Benson & Hedges World Series Cup. Australia had scored a reasonable 4/235, but a patient century by Bruce Edgar allowed New Zealand to almost match the hosts. With one over left in the match, the Kiwis needed 15 runs for victory. After a couple of lusty blows by Richard Hadlee and Ian Smith, then a couple of quick wickets, New Zealand was left needing six runs to tie the match with one ball remaining. The final delivery was to be bowled by Trevor Chappell to Kiwi number 10 Brian McKechnie.

Australian skipper Greg Chappell (Trevor’s older brother) ordered that he deliver the ball underarm, and informed umpire Don Weser of his intentions. At this point underarm bowling was not specifically prohibited by the laws of the game. To the disgust of McKechnie and the obvious dismay of several Australian players, Trevor Chappell rolled the ball down the pitch carpet bowls-style. The batsman blocked the ball then threw his bat away. Edgar at the non-striker’s end made a two-fingered gesture to the bowler, and Kiwi skipper Geoff Howarth ran on to remonstrate with the umpires.

New Zealand Prime Minister Robert Muldoon called it, "the most disgusting incident I can recall in the history of cricket", and "an act of cowardice". Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Fraser called it, "contrary to the traditions of the game". Greg Chappell’s decision was universally condemned. Immediately after the game he said, "If it’s written in the rules of the game it is fair play," but he later apologised and claimed that the stress of the situation had got to him. It took many years for him to be fully forgiven.

My only reason for posting this that I know how long it took the Aussies to live it down.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 11-26-2001, 05:54 PM   #2
jabidas
Silver Dragon

I dont know much about cricket but this seems beyond silly.
Old 11-26-2001, 06:35 PM   #3
Lavindathar
Harper

If I was the batsman, I would have ran over there and knocked the **** out of the bowler.

I sorta lose my temper when it comes to sports....has anyone got that on .mpg somewhere on the Internet do you think?
Old 11-27-2001, 10:51 PM   #4
signe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:
If I was the batsman, I would have ran over there and knocked the **** out of the bowler.

I sorta lose my temper when it comes to sports....has anyone got that on .mpg somewhere on the Internet do you think?

Now, now... this is cricket, not football.