Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2001, 10:23 PM   #21
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:

LOL! NO! Its a conversation with Yorick, mostly.... I put it in here because I was interested in other peoples' viewpoints. As usual, Yorick and I come from diametrically opposite ends of the universe, and never the twain shall meet!
Go into the link to the original thread and you will see it is not me talking to myself, lol!

And what is YOUR opinion on the 'art' involved in switching a light on/off in an empty room? Or in an unmade bed? Or in a pile of bricks?

It is art if anyone thinks of it as such, F. I'm not rushing off to see the exhibit, myself, but I won't disparage someone who thinks of it as art, just point out my tastes don't run that way at all. And yes, I might snicker a bit...

hmmm... I could be rich... I have unmade beds and a pile of bricks (patio stones not used-sitting in my back yard!)

Azure, that's a pretty heavy duty and cynical opinion for someone of your years. But hey, maybe all that Incubus damaged your brain's art appreciation zones ?... [img]tongue.gif[/img] (note to those who don't know me and Az- I'm joking with him! )

Cloudy
Old 11-18-2001, 06:07 PM   #22
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:

It is art if anyone thinks of it as such, F. I'm not rushing off to see the exhibit, myself, but I won't disparage someone who thinks of it as art, just point out my tastes don't run that way at all. And yes, I might snicker a bit...

hmmm... I could be rich... I have unmade beds and a pile of bricks (patio stones not used-sitting in my back yard!)

Azure, that's a pretty heavy duty and cynical opinion for someone of your years. But hey, maybe all that Incubus damaged your brain's art appreciation zones ?... [img]tongue.gif[/img] (note to those who don't know me and Az- I'm joking with him! )

Cloudy

How nice and diplomatic, Cloudy! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] You are managing to agree with me AND Yorick, lol! You an' me can stand behind Yorick and giggle behind our hands while we all admire the pile of bricks in your back yard!
Old 11-18-2001, 08:11 PM   #23
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:

How nice and diplomatic, Cloudy! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] You are managing to agree with me AND Yorick, lol! You an' me can stand behind Yorick and giggle behind our hands while we all admire the pile of bricks in your back yard!

LOL [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img] Well, those bricks ARE piled very creatively... *giggle*

Can I charge admission?!

Cloudy
Old 11-19-2001, 07:10 AM   #24
Donut
Jack Burton

I think of this type of 'installation art' a bit like the emperors new clothes. We're told that it is art so it is! If we don't think it's art then the fault lies with us - we're philistines. I have visions of people admiring the fire extinguisher at an art gallery thinking it's one of the exhibits. How is it that Tracey Emin can arrange her unmade bed better than I can. How many years at college did that take?

Now this man must have been a connoisseur. [img]smile.gif[/img]

London - Damien Hirst, doyen of the modern British art scene, may fetch huge bids and draw international crowds, but in the eyes of one gallery worker, his art belongs in the bin.

And that's exactly where cleaner Emmanuel Asare tossed an exhibit created by Hirst, 35, at a launch party for a recent show of his work.

The pile of empty beer bottles, dirty ashtrays and coffee cups left over from the party at London's trendy Eyesto'rm gallery had been arranged by Hirst into an impromptu installation. But when Asare arrived at the gallery the morning after the night before, he dumped the whole lot in the garbage.

"It didn't much look like art to me," he said.

Alarmed gallery employees hastily retrieved the items from the rubbish bags and used photos to recreate the exhibit. Hirst said the misunderstanding over his work was "fantastic, very funny".
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 11-19-2001, 07:32 AM   #25
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hey Donut! I saw that on the news! Too funny! LOL Gotta say,it sounded like trash to me, too! [img]tongue.gif[/img] That poor janitor must have been in trouble, but I can sure see how he'd make the mistake!

But hey, nobody pays me to arrange my garbage or unmade bed nicely so I suppose I can't really comment with any expertise!

CloudArtiste
Old 11-19-2001, 07:43 AM   #26
Donut
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Hey Donut! I saw that on the news! Too funny! LOL Gotta say,it sounded like trash to me, too! [img]tongue.gif[/img] That poor janitor must have been in trouble, but I can sure see how he'd make the mistake!

But hey, nobody pays me to arrange my garbage or unmade bed nicely so I suppose I can't really comment with any expertise!

CloudArtiste

You are CloudUbiquitous your Modship!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 11-19-2001, 07:51 AM   #27
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
I think of this type of 'installation art' a bit like the emperors new clothes. We're told that it is art so it is! If we don't think it's art then the fault lies with us - we're philistines. I have visions of people admiring the fire extinguisher at an art gallery thinking it's one of the exhibits. How is it that Tracey Emin can arrange her unmade bed better than I can. How many years at college did that take?

Now this man must have been a connoisseur. [img]smile.gif[/img]

London - Damien Hirst, doyen of the modern British art scene, may fetch huge bids and draw international crowds, but in the eyes of one gallery worker, his art belongs in the bin.

And that's exactly where cleaner Emmanuel Asare tossed an exhibit created by Hirst, 35, at a launch party for a recent show of his work.

The pile of empty beer bottles, dirty ashtrays and coffee cups left over from the party at London's trendy Eyesto'rm gallery had been arranged by Hirst into an impromptu installation. But when Asare arrived at the gallery the morning after the night before, he dumped the whole lot in the garbage.

"It didn't much look like art to me," he said.

Alarmed gallery employees hastily retrieved the items from the rubbish bags and used photos to recreate the exhibit. Hirst said the misunderstanding over his work was "fantastic, very funny".

ROFLMAO!!! I didn't see that bit of news! TOO funny! I'm with the janitor! LFTB! [img]graemlins/shine.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bricks.gif[/img]

Cloudy - yes, charge admission! Offer coffee and a biscuit and you could have a thriving business!

I don't know that much about art history - but has there ever been a a previous period where trash (and other such stuff as we are discussing), has been viewed as Art? And if so..... where is such art now?

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: Fljotsdale ]