Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2003, 04:58 PM   #1
Tiela
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I got stuck in this game (couldn't find the dragon in Ch. 1), so I quit for awhile and now I'm restarting. Now I'm playing as a ranger for the very first time. The thing is, I see in my point distibution that I have a "Heal" skill as a ranger. How do I access this? I'm used to playing Paladin and doing the "Laying on Hands" thing, so I'm not sure how to use this Ranger skill. I can't seem to find it in any of the radial menus.

Any help anyone could give would be much appreciated!
Tiela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 05:01 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Heal skill is used with Healing kits, more ranks of the skill give more healing from the same kit.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:06 PM   #3
Tiela
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for your speedy reply, andrewas! Too bad, though, I was hoping for some cool heal skill, like what I had with the Paladin. Thanks a lot for the info!
Old 09-08-2003, 05:42 PM   #4
Stratos
Vampire

All classes has 'Heal' as a class skill. I'm amazed you haven't putted points in this before, it's MUCH better than 'Lay On Hands'.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:55 PM   #5
Tiela
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
All classes has 'Heal' as a class skill. I'm amazed you haven't putted points in this before, it's MUCH better than 'Lay On Hands'.
I've only played as a Paladin before. I've always put points in "Heal", but I thought it was going towards my "Lay on Hands" skill. I didn't realize it had anything to do with the potions or heal kits.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:25 PM   #6
Stratos
Vampire

Just healing kits, not potions.

Lay on Hands uses Paladin level *charism modifier to detemine how many hit points you'll heal.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:57 AM   #7
Tiela
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Wow, I had no idea. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-09-2003, 11:36 AM   #8
Thoran
Galvatron

I play a ranger too, Healing Kits are good for between battle healing... they take a long time to use and don't appear to heal as many points if used during battle... but when used outside battle they heal a LOT of HP (especially with a few levels on the Heal skill. Potions are good for immediate healing.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 03:07 PM   #9
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by Thoran:
I play a ranger too, Healing Kits are good for between battle healing... they take a long time to use and don't appear to heal as many points if used during battle... but when used outside battle they heal a LOT of HP (especially with a few levels on the Heal skill. Potions are good for immediate healing.
Outside battle you will 'take 20' on skill checks meaning you will automatically roll a natural 20. That mean that you are more likely to heal more HP outside combat than during it. The same thing with things like disarming traps, you'll more likely to succeed of your're not in combat. Don't forget that healing kits can cure disease and poison too.

A healing potion works like the spell it's named after i.e. a Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds will heal as much as the spell with the same name, always. With some decent amount of skill points in 'Heal' it has the potential to be better than any potion, except for potions of Heal but those are very expensive.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:18 PM   #10
Chewbacca
Zartan

Using heal kits in combat has the added bonus of not causing an attack of opportunity whre using a potion does cause an extra attack your way.

A small issue really but one worth noting becasue if you only have a few HP left that attack of opportunity may kill you before you can drink the healing potion.