Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2003, 11:12 AM   #1
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Ever since I got NWN I have had a bit of a problem and I am hoping someone will be able to tell me how to fix it. When the movies play, they are very jerky. The best way I can describe it is to say it is like watching a video and having someone constantly pausing and unpausing it. The narration comes out like : You... ha..ve... a...rrive...d... in... Ne...ver... Wi...n...ter...
It is really annoying.
The rest of the game plays fine. My system can handle all the in-game graphics and sounds, which to me seem more complicated than the opening movies....
Any ideas on what needs to be fixed/ updated/ replaced on my comp?
Old 12-19-2003, 11:41 AM   #2
philip
Galvatron

I have the same, hardly trouble with the game (even since my specs are under requirements since hotu), but those movies are bad. Is your system completely required, I think it might be the video card
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 12:15 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Please tell us what you have in your machine, including what driver versions you have. Don't leave out mention of your sound card, which is also a known issue with some people.

A few ideas without knowing what you have exactly are:

1. Video card only barely meets requirement.
2. Old Drivers that need to be updated.
3. Screen resolution for game and desktop do not match.
4. Sound card is a Soundblaster Live.
5. Processor is getting hot or other issue.
Old 12-20-2003, 12:14 AM   #4
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

I don't think it should be the video card... As I said, if it can handle in-game graphics with me and a henchman fighting 6 opponents, it should be able to handle still pictures...
Driver problem? Maybe. I hate to say it, but I am terribly uninformed on this sort of thing and do not know where to go to update. I can't even remember exactly what it is... It's a Geforce (spelling?)of some sort.
Resolution: How do I check that?
Sound card: It is my feeling that it is the sound card. I don't know what I have (I know this sounds really ignorant, but someone built this system for me and I don't know exactly what he put in...)
Could it be a lack of memory? That was another theory of mine.
I hate sounding dense, but I'd rather do so here, than in a computer store where the guy at the counter can laugh at me... Lol

[ 12-20-2003, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: Arnabas ]
Old 12-20-2003, 01:20 AM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Ok...here are some things you can do to get started...

Go into the "run command from the start menu and type in dxdiag...and you will get a nice screen that tells you some stuff about your PC.

1. On the first screen that pops up, called "system", it will list your processor, memory size, and directX version. I have DirectX 9.0b. This will let us both know if your memory is an issue, or if it is a slow processor or maybe you just need a better directX version. Let's see.

2. On the display tab, you will see your graphics card listed, as well as the driver version. Find out which card you have, then go to www.nvidia.com to see if you can get something better. GeForce is from NVidia. Note: Only your main drivers will be listed on that tab. There are detonator drivers as well that really make things fun...this month they released v53.03. Ask me if you need help trying to figure out what to download. If you desire, try out the test buttons to see if you have problems with your card.

3. Next tab is the sound tab. It will show you what sound card you have. As I mentioned before, There are some problems with Soundblaster Live and this game...There is a test button there on this tab to see if you have direct sound working correctly. You also have a hardware acceleration level lever to mess with.

That should get you started on identifying your PC and finding the source of your performance problem. Please return and report when you have done what you can. My wife may be having a baby soon, so if I don't respond somebody else will.

[ 12-20-2003, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 12-20-2003, 01:34 AM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Oops...I did not answer all your questions.

On the game, in Options, you can tell the game what resolution to play in. When I first started playing this game...I had the resolution set to 800x600, which I think is the standard for this game...but my desktop was set to 1024x768. When the game turned on and made the change to the lesser resolution...it would cause my game to be all buggy. When I made them match (1024x768) the game was fine. Also, make sure your monitor's refresh rate is not set too low...while you are messing around in there, might as well check it.

Do this by right-clicking on the desktop, then properties, then settings. What is your resolution set at? What is the game set at?
Next...Advanced button, then Monitor, then Montitor settings. Mine is at 85, because my monitor cannot do any better than that, but that is high enough to live on.
Old 12-20-2003, 03:34 AM   #7
philip
Galvatron

Another suggestion: what's your frame rate in combat. hit the tilde, '~' and type 'trace fps'. For me that made it obvious. I found the game running great and fast enough and didn't notice it had much trouble but it was because I was used to a low frame rate 5-20
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 04:38 AM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Go to the sound options then advanced options in the game. Make sure the sound is set to Miles Fast 2d.