Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2002, 01:44 PM   #1
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I AM A HUGE FAN OF Baldurs Gate Series..so i have NWN&ES:Morrowind&...about 3 months...what shuld i play first...help me decide...i was thinking NWN

MERRY CHRISTMAS&A HAPPY NEW YEAR,Xen
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 03:37 PM   #2
Draten-Master of Fire and Ice
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
I AM A HUGE FAN OF Baldurs Gate Series..so i have NWN&ES:Morrowind&...about 3 months...what shuld i play first...help me decide...i was thinking NWN

MERRY CHRISTMAS&A HAPPY NEW YEAR,Xen
Merry Christmas back at ya', Xen!

I am currently playing NWN (the included quest), and have enjoyed it so far. The one true difficulty I have had with it is that there is just one player character (and sometimes a henchman...and maybe a familiar or summoned creature depending on your class). The fact is that the game seems difficult to play unless you are interested in taking more than one character class, and is even more difficult if you try to go it alone ie-without henchman, etc. But then again, as one of the MODS (can't remember who,sorry) pointed out, this is NOT Baldur's Gate III: A Trip Up North; it is a different game and intended to be so. Don't expect to find things exactly as you had them in BG series and you'll probably have a lot of fun.

Slater........
Old 12-23-2002, 11:18 PM   #3
Shea_Giesler
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've been thinking of getting this game too. Had pool of radiance ruins of myth drannor, but too many bugs actually kept me from getting further in the game. Save games becoming corrupt....game freezing during saves and such...is this more similar to baldurs gate or POR-ROMD....
Old 12-24-2002, 04:34 AM   #4
Desdicado
Zhentarim Guard

As a huge fan of the BG series also, I would say NWN doesn't really compare to the Baldurs Gate series at all.

1- NWN is too linear, it's very much go here, kill this, now go there.
I didn't like this.

2- Only one player character, I didn't like this aspect either. Made battles very hard.

Overall it reminded me of a console RPG, I didn't even finish it.

It was more like Pools of Radiance than BG, but less buggy than POR!.

I would say buy Might and Magic 7 or something similar.

PS, I didn't rate Icewind Dale 2 either, too linear also.
Old 12-24-2002, 10:36 AM   #5
Draten-Master of Fire and Ice
Dungeon Master

Yep, NWN is linear. It was designed that way: as a single player hack-and-slash. It bears some similarities to BG series, but is also different. Depends entirely on what you're looking for in a game.
Old 12-24-2002, 11:14 AM   #6
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Just remember, NWN was designed as a multiplayer game. That's were it shines. There and in your ability to create your own mods, or download thousands of other mods.

It's great. Different from the BG series, but great.
Old 12-26-2002, 11:29 AM   #7
Grungi
Banned User

i found the henchman to be extremly useful in the 1st two chapters but after that he just dies and my guy is pratically invincible anyway [img]tongue.gif[/img] most of the time i dont even bother taking the henchman along and if he dies i carry on regardless. Against the bosses hes useful for soaking a few of their hits and doing a bit of damage but power wise now hes not even close to my guy (lvl 14 fighter)
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 08:11 AM   #8
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

::nods at Grungi:: I know what you mean about henchmen losing their usefulness after the first couple of chapters---even my druidess pretty much just anihilates the bad nasties without help from other than her companions/summoned creatures!

I suppose I shouldn't answer this as I have absolutely no use for Morrowind...but Septfox tells me that Morrowind is quite a good game. Personally, I prefer games such as the BG series and NWN, but *shrugs* each to their own.
Old 12-27-2002, 06:22 PM   #9
Grungi
Banned User

morrowind is superb, very non-linear and a class game, just gets a bit tiresome after a while (a long while [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote