Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2002, 05:56 PM   #1
Darkon Blackblood
The Magister

Hi, i'm new to NWN but have played the baldurs gate series multiple times and was a big fan. I now come to NWN and it gives so many options for race, class, dual-classing and weapons.
The problem is i need a good character to play. I don't want my first character to be a mage because i usualy do that as my 2nd or 3rd character. I want a character, who with the right henchman can be powerful.

Please give me some advice, i want to know:
Race
Class
Weapon Specialization
Feats
Spells (if applicable)
Should i dual class
If so at what level
If dual classed what should the level ratio be
etc.

PS. If the advice you want to give me is to make my own character keep your mouth shut, if i wanted to do that i wouldn't have posted this.
Old 08-16-2002, 07:35 PM   #2
DraconisRex

I'm assuming you're NOT a PnP player, playing CRPGs for the heck of it. I'm also assuming you haven't spent $300/$400 on all the books like I have. B)

Okay, it's your first time. You want a tough character that's fun to play. This is what I'd play:

Ranger/Thief. Halfling. Use throwing axes (but start with darts or a sling until you're level 6 or 7). Short sword. (main) Sickle/Dagger.(off).

Take WEAPON FINESSE FEAT (+3 or +4 to hit right off the bat 'cause of high dex). Humans as FIRST RACIAL ENEMY.

Throwing axes are HEAVY. SPLIT them into groups of 10 and put them in a bag of holding (60% reduction or better) so the weight doesn't kill you.

You Lvl 4 & Lvl 8 attribute points are for STR & DEX. Level 12 is for WIS. Then whatever you choose for LVL 16.

Stay with studded leather or leather armours, depending on what's the best available.

START LEVEL 1 as a THEIF!!! VERY, VERY IMPORTANT. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW RANGER REQUIREMENTS SO YOU HAVE APPROPRIATE ATTRIBUTES. You should be 12, 18, 12, 12, 12, 10.

Because you're multi-classing, you won't get level 4 spells and therefore, don't need a 14 wisdom.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 02:57 PM   #3
Nerull
Lord Ao

Another way to start is to take the "Recommended" option for everything. This will give you a human fighter. However, I would not take the recommended skill set. Instead, take Discipline and Persuasion as your skills, and move them up every level you can (you can only do Persuasion every other level, and it costs double, because it is not a class skill). The levels in between (when you can't move up Persuasion), move up skills like Search (great for finding traps), Lore (identify magic items), and Heal (use the healing kits; very useful for all of the many monsters that use poison or disease on you). For feats, definitely take Power Attack (good for busting open chests; prerequisite for Cleave) and Cleave (absolutely awesome) as your first two choices, as long as you do not use double weapons. In general, choose what weapons you want to be good at (i.e. spend feats like Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization on) before you make your choices. If not using double weapons, spend the third feat on Skill Focus (Persuasion). If using double weapons (dire mace, two-bladed sword, double axe, etc.), then you must use your three feats on Weapon Proficiency-Exotic, Ambidexterity (need dex 15 for this, so need to up Dexterity back on the stats screen), and Two Weapon Fighting. If you want to use exotic weapons that aren't double weapons (katana, scythe, bastard sword, etc.), then still take Power Attack and Cleave, but take Weapon Proficiency-Exotic as your third feat. Generally, I prefer either the longsword, greatsword, or greataxe, but that is entirely up to you. Once you get the hang of the game as a fighter (probably the easiest class to master), you can then go back and try another character. Wizards and sorcerers are good, as are clerics (upgraded from previous editions) and monks. Once you get the hang of things, then stealth guys also become great (rangers, rogues, and the aforementioned monks).

These are just suggestions. If you really like a certain kind of character, then pick them and have fun!
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 10:09 PM   #4
AndyG
Elminster

I would recommend playing a human fighter as well. However, around level 3, take a level of rogue, and spend your skill points on search, disarm traps and open locks. Take additional rogue levels every 3 or so fighter levels. Rogue levels give you a bonus sneak attack, the feat of evasion, which helps you avoid damage from spells and traps, and of course, the valuable rogue skills. With this build, you are a strong fighter, who can use all weapons and armor. You get bonus damage from sneak attacks. You can find traps, and disarm some of them. You'll be able to pick locks early in the game. Later on, your skill won't help you much there, but by that time, you'll be able to bash anything open.

I put all my bonus attribute points into strength. With equipment, my character's strength is up to 25. She can carry everything, and gets nice bonus damage. Extra points into constitution is a good idea as well, for the extra hit points.
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote