Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2002, 07:54 AM   #1
Anamics
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey all good fellows. I'm having a bit of confusion right now.

Wehn i leveled up from a fighter, i decided to be a mage and chose wizard. is that duel classing or multi classing? i thought duel meant you leave the fighter at where he's last at and start a new class and multiclassin' means leveling both of them up at the same time.
if i'm right, then how'd u choose to duel or multi class?

thanks =)

and oh. the 3rd ed players handbook onli talks about multiclassing... has duel been stroked off??
Old 06-27-2002, 09:26 AM   #2
Kaia Kincaid
Welcomed New User

great question.. im sorry i do not know!!! i ask a couple of question and no would answer i think the iq in the room is very low sorry
Old 06-27-2002, 09:44 AM   #3
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaia Kincaid:
great question.. im sorry i do not know!!! i ask a couple of question and no would answer i think the iq in the room is very low sorry
LOL Im not sure but insulting people would probably not encourage them to answer quicker...perhaps no one knew the answer to your particular question. As for Duel and Multi-classing try reading the manual. as far as I know 3rd edition rules has changed the way that all works... remember the motto RTFM.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:46 AM   #4
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

No dual classing in 3:ed, only multiclassing. Be sure to read about it in the manual. I think they have omlemented some rules that are not core 3:ed in the game to keep some control over it. generally you have a preferred class you can freely multi too (for the races not human or half elf). Humans can pick any as their favoured class. As I don´t have the game I suggest you find out NWN´s version of this in the manual.

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 10:36 AM   #5
Lanthir
Drizzt Do'Urden

you are correct wolfie
and a nice big welcom to you too Kaia

[ 06-27-2002, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Lanthir ]
Old 06-27-2002, 11:12 PM   #6
Jerhal
Dungeon Master

Dual classing is indeed out completely in the 3rd edition rules. Multiclassing is completely different as well. When you go up a level you can chose to to increase your current class level or apply that 1 level increase to a new or existing class. You can have a halfling Paladin/Mage/Cleric/Thief if you wanted one (I think). But he wouldn't be good at anything. When you go up a level you can only increase one class one level of your chosing. You don't have to balance anything out either. The hafling could be end up with levels of 3/8/2/12 in his four classes. IMO it is actually much harder in this game for characters to have more then one class because XP requirements are based on your TOTAL levels. It would take just as much XP for my halfing example to go up to level 3 in cleric as it would to go up to level 13 in Theif or 9 in mage. Hope that helps a little.

[ 06-27-2002, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: Jerhal ]
Old 06-28-2002, 03:02 PM   #7
DeSoya
Manshoon

The rules on multi-class are on page 54-56 of the PHB I think. I don't have them with me so I can't be entirely sure.
You are wrong about a couple of things Jerhal. First off you have to balance out your classes unless one of them happens to be your race's favored class. If you go out of balance (more than a 1 level difference) with any of your non-favored classes then you incurr an 20% xp penalty. Pretty steep I say. Secondly (a minor point indeed) you can only have three classes in NWN. And of course, prestige classes, if Biowares ever expands them into the game, always count as a favored class regardless of race.
As for the way multi-classing is done in 3E, I personally think that it is a little better than in 2E. Especially in PnP the system allows you to make roleplaying choices about which class you which to take instead of picking two class and sucking until about tenth level. Not to mention never being able to change out of those two classes.

DeSoya
Old 06-28-2002, 04:28 PM   #8
Jerhal
Dungeon Master

Ok, thats right. I just read in the manual that your level cannot exceed 20 and thats for all your classes added together. Thats making me rethink my rouge/fighter/wiz character. That and the penalty but if I can keep her rouge/fighter levels close the wizard won't matter.

One thing that is wrong with either the manual or the game it says that you cannot take on a second class until you get to level 2 in your first. I was able to start a Fighter character then add a Cleric level while he was still level 1 in Fighter.

For that matter I'm not sure if the XP penalties work right in the game either.

[ 06-28-2002, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Jerhal ]
Old 06-28-2002, 10:49 PM   #9
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerhal:
Ok, thats right. I just read in the manual that your level cannot exceed 20 and thats for all your classes added together. Thats making me rethink my rouge/fighter/wiz character. That and the penalty but if I can keep her rouge/fighter levels close the wizard won't matter.

One thing that is wrong with either the manual or the game it says that you cannot take on a second class until you get to level 2 in your first. I was able to start a Fighter character then add a Cleric level while he was still level 1 in Fighter.

For that matter I'm not sure if the XP penalties work right in the game either.
Technically you would have been a level two fighter if you had chosen that class...basicly they ment that you had to have enough experience points to BE 2nd level...not to actually have leveled up to level 2 [img]smile.gif[/img]