Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2001, 12:01 AM   #1
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

There have been numerous threads on this topic and if I recall them correctly the gist of many is that the more often you reroll to try and make the hit points better the more difficult you make it to gain more hit points the next time around - if you want to read the better explanations - search through the forum for those threads.

My basic advice is stop worrying about and play!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 12:02 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

There have been numerous threads on this topic and if I recall them correctly the gist of many is that the more often you reroll to try and make the hit points better the more difficult you make it to gain more hit points the next time around - if you want to read the better explanations - search through the forum for those threads.

My basic advice is stop worrying about and play!

Wyv
Old 01-06-2001, 12:04 AM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

WOW - I just learned how to accidentally post twice post twice

Sorry about that!

Wyv
Old 01-06-2001, 12:14 AM   #4
Gauleiter

Hit hit reply reply only only once once, Wyv Wyv

The *other* side of that mathematical process that everyone forgets is the comparison side. The HP aren't totally random -- the game compares your current character's race, class, level, and HP with a theoretical "average" character of the same type at each level up. If your character has an above average HP count, the *maximum* roll is lower, i.e. the roll is still random, but can only be so big. Likewise, if your character is below average, the maximum is increased (you may still get 1 HP, but that only means that you're even MORE likely to get higher next time, since your HP will be even further below the norm).

In other words, re-rolling does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for your character, but rather frustrates you and wastes your valuable playing time. Let's say you re-roll 12 times and suddenly get a nice level up -- this will lower the possibility of getting a similar one next time around; if you make re-rolling a habit for enough levels, it will become theoretically IMPOSSIBLE for your character to get more than 1 HP until he/she gets low enough to be in line with the computer's model for his/her race/class/level.

SO JUST PLAY THE GAME LIKE IT WAS DESIGNED!
Old 01-06-2001, 12:21 AM   #5
Kodiak the Slayer

Ok I need to know if their is a bug with getting hit points when you level up? as soon as my warriors reached lvl 3 they are receiving 1 hit point per level. I have even saved and re-rolled about 70 times for 1 guy and I eventually received 8 hit points but this is stupid. I spend more time rolling my level then I do making them. Is this as bug in the game or does anyone know how many hit points each class is supposed to get per level and how much you get for the levels of fortitude you have? My Characters are 2 Fighters, 2 Paladins, 1 Cleric and 1 Mage.

Any help would be nice... I mean if this is how its going to be the whole game I will return the thing.
Old 01-06-2001, 01:14 AM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Okay, I know this has come up several times before, but it's worthwhile posting again since it's a fairly pressing question.

Hit points are not additive. They are re-rolled totally for each new level, adjusted slightly by the character's Fortitude and largely by their role. (The manual gives good hints as to who gets more HP than others). If the roll of the new level results in HP that is less than or equal to your current HP, you get 1 point; otherwise, you get however many points that would bring you to the new level. Example: I have a Warrior who at Level 2 has 22 HP. If at level 3 his roll is 18, he would only get 1 HP. If it is 27, he'd get 5 HP (22 + 5 = 27).

So don't fret it. If you don't get a big roll this time, you're more than likely to get a huge one on the next level up. Work on increasing the Fortitude of the character as well; that's far greater a determininant of HP increases on Warrior classes than on spellcaster classes.

Sazerac.
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 02:58 AM   #7
Moni

Re-Roll til your mouse screams in pain, eventually you will get something substantial for your character's role, however in the early part of the game, you will be forced to use the Toadem as a catch up rather than a bonus, after level 7 it gets even harder but is still possible to keep your characters around and "Average" for their particular role.
Personally I think we all ought to complain to the Ironworks that the method is as old and outdated as the Commodore 64 it was developed for and it is time to move with the present times...if they are not going to use a standard then they at least ought to develop a base minimum for different roles.
Wizardry has always been one of the best RPG's but that one hit point per level thinking it WILL use the catch-up method (when it doesn't always)is the one thing that makes it unsellable to hard core players. I know a few people who WON'T play them for that reason & that reason alone.
Not all players like changing professions to have an amount of hit points they can live through the last battles with but that seems to be the games objective...Be All You Can Be...But You'll STILL Have To Use The Fall & Splat Method To Get Down A Ladder!!!

P.S. Fighters are supposed to average 9-10 HP's per level. Priests about 7 or 8 & Mages only 6 (this is going by older Wizardry standards). Paladins SHOULD be up there with the fighters if not even @ 11 or 12, I really don't know about that one, I have been in the land of Might & Magic too long. ; )
Old 01-06-2001, 11:49 AM   #8
Vivas

I have been reloading for a million times myself, and after starting a new game i decided not to reload again. I thought it just is more fun to accept wathever i get. When my Barbarian got level 6 or so i got 42 HP!!!....you will get those hitpoints anyway.
Old 01-06-2001, 03:53 PM   #9
Moni

At earlier levels, it does help to know you have a character strong enough to take a couple of whacks from weak enemies!
I have been waiting on the catch-up system to credit my poor wizard with something worthy and at level 11 he only has 43 HP's.
About 23 behind a low average and his stats are comparable to other characters...waiting a few more levels to promote him to Warlock so the one hit point per level won't hurt so bad.
: )
Moni