Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2000, 06:59 AM   #1
eolair

What is the best way to kill the hydra? I 've been fried dozens of times.Am I forgetting some spells? I thought I tried them all
Old 12-27-2000, 08:29 AM   #2
Davros
Takhisis Follower

For me it was just walk right up to him - frenzy and bloodlust up your warriors several times, cloak them is shadow, then start dealing out 150-200 HP of damage per character with your katana's etc. Poison works on him very well I understand - Deadly vapours if you have it.
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2000, 08:45 AM   #3
Igor

Well, I killed her in two attempts... and only in second I've found a right way to do it easier
And I suppose you have a character with Leadership skill, because in my case Hydra attacked only one my man. So, use it
Prepare yourself well, merlin's shield, armored realm, haste(!), bloodlust, nimble, heroic might(!), etc... run to her as fast as you can and... just hit her by all your swords/dagger/staves/etc.
I've found that the only magic you may cast is: negative magic, melt...
Btw, I had paladin and monk, so they both have great heal. I think the single healer won't help in this battle.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-27-2000, 04:29 PM   #4
Orion

I used merlin's shield or something like that (moon magic i think) on my characters. that really cut down on the effectiveness of all the hydra's breath attacks.
then i simply hasted, armored, bloodlusted, holy mighted my warriors and cast melt on the hydra. i only had one healer and it worked out fine because the hydra's attacks barely ever got through.
Old 12-27-2000, 08:33 PM   #5
Gauleiter

I failed every time I tried the direct assault; for me, it was poison. Poisoned the thing as much as I could & ran away. I threw a ranged spell at it every now & then, but I really just waited for 5-6 min until the poison wore it down.
Old 12-28-2000, 05:04 AM   #6
carg
The Magister

If I remember correctly, meteor storm was effective, so when my stone mana was finished he had only about half his hitpoints. Then slashing hard was enough. (I did have 2 healers.)
carg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2000, 09:02 AM   #7
Davros
Takhisis Follower

All these major boss dudes generally tend to have a pattern to their attacks. The Naga required the cleverest strategy as it always attacked the last person to attack it. The Dragon (yes I tested it and reloaded) always attacked my Dwarf (Erathsmador the racist - or dwarvist anyway). The Hydra always attacked my leader. My strategy for the naga was never attack late in a round with a badly weakened character. With the dragon and the Hydra, once I knew who was being attacked, I shifted all the best of amulets / rings / cuffs onto that dude. Generally, that guy was then almost, if not completely, impervious to the breath attacks. It then became more of a hack and slash with little or no healing required. And the toughest dude in the Gael Serran - Oakenmir, by a country mile.
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2000, 03:36 AM   #8
Thorny

Dragon Plate mail worked well against the Dragon breath - put in on Leader with LURE spell, added a "Damage Reflection" for good measure. Keep the lead character alive as long as possible. Maybe no long enough. Damage reflection will reflect the Dragons breath damage back on it, but my Healers couldn't keep up with the amount of damage I was receiving. The problem is that the Healers take too long to recover after casting a spell. Perhaps quickspeak would have helped.

Does Dragon Plate armor work against Hydra attack?

Watch your main character carefully, once mine got stoned and the beast switched its attacks to my other characters until I restored the main Warrior to healthy status.

I just got invisibility spell (learned it from a book). Does invisibilty end if I attack a creature? I assume it follows D&D rules, but haven't confirmed it.