Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2004, 12:57 PM   #11
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

No. All of the classes bring something to the table. It's simply a matter of personal preference. Some folks like fighters because of the myriad of feats, others like barbarians because of the rage capabilities.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 08:19 AM   #12
Magness
Quintesson

Micah is correct, all classes bring something to the table. However, your playing style and personal preferences should dictate some of your choices.

Personally, I'm not a fan of bards. I don't *hate* them. Just don't have any love for the class.

On the flip side, I really like rangers. I know that they've been a little nerfed in IWD2, but I play my own little mod for rangers that improves them enough to be more fun. I like having a stealthy ranger in my parties to work side-by-side with my rogue.

When designing a party, I always suggest trying to strike a balance between melee, ranged, and magic power. A well balanced party will be able to meet any challenge successfully.

Timber Loftis, if you add a new character later in the game, the character starts at level 1. This is actually an interesting tactic. For one thing, the inclusion of a low level character in the party lowers the average level of the party and actually increases the amount of XP rewarded. Also, such a low level character will level up incredibly quickly, if you can keep him alive. Furthermore, you *have* to keep the low level character alive to get the benefit of him lowering the average level of the party. At times, this can be quite a challenge.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 10:09 AM   #13
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

I've always liked Rogues myself. They're good for the early game if you use them well, but crap later on because everyone and their mother seems immune to Sneak Attack. You'll most like get up to a 10d6 damage bonus for Sneak Attack later on; That's nothing to sneer at. However, you have to be careful not to use him as a tank. He won't soak up damage, but run around and backstab people.

I've been using a Cleric, Sorcerer, Fighter/Barbarian, and Rogue. Sorcerers, IMO, are better than Mages because of two facts; there aren't that many spell scrolls in the game, and there really aren't that many decent spells per level, so you can easily choose the five best. Dwarven Fighter/Barbarian rocks as a tank/damage dealer, and the Cleric provides some battle support/healing ability.
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 11:44 AM   #14
General Nosaj
Zhentarim Guard

You can't beat the old trusty single class mage. I've complted BG1, BG2 and IWD/HOW with a mage as leader of my party. Nearly completed IWD2 and again you guessed it with a mage at the helm. Great game as well. Enjoy!
Old 04-15-2004, 09:34 AM   #15
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

To start out my party i built the following:

1) Human Paladin (long swords)
2) Dwarven Fighter (Axes)
3) Half Orc Barbarian (Maces and Long Swords)
4) Half Elf (i think) Cleric (Longbow)
5) Halfling Rogue (crossbow)
6) Human Wizard (crossbow)

NOTES:
1) Paladin now carries two enchanted swords. Cross classed with a ranger combination.
2) Dwarven Fighter Cross Classed with a barbarian.
3) Barbarian Cross Classed with a Fighter for added benefits
4) Cleric Cross Classed with Druid. Summons level three beasts of nature and monsters and better for added HP.
5) Rogue cross classed with ranger. Good for added HP, but rogue can never cast spells, so benefits negated.
6) Wizard Cross Classed with Fighter for added HP. Summons Spider Spawn, strong focus on damaging spells (fire, area of effect attacks)
Old 05-04-2004, 11:45 PM   #16
SpongeBobTheDestoyer

I'm also going to be a IWDII newbie and I have a question relating to this first time tips thread...

I don' t have any experience with 3e rules and therefore have no knowledge of the feats and skills system. So my questions are - Are there any must haves? Are there just plain useless ones that I should stay away from?

Another dilema I have for my first run is whether or not to install any mods. Undead Targos sounds nice and I'm not opposed to a few Uber weapons via Bonus Merchants. Any advice for me?

Peace. [img]smile.gif[/img]