Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2003, 09:13 PM   #1
Magness
Quintesson

I decided that it was time for someone to attempt to make a Monte Cook ranger mod. So I decided to step up to the plate.

Please note that I have NOT yet fully tested this mod. I have installed it over my installation of IWD2 and the bonus feats and number of skill points did work properly.

I am in the process of creating a new party with which I will test this mod for myself. I just felt that many people would like to get a look at this.

Download the mod HERE. It is actually a very small ZIP file.

This is the README file in the ZIP archive.
------------------------------------------------

Icewind Dale 2
Monte Cook Ranger MOD

Defenders of the Dale

The "minimalist" Monte Cook Ranger MOD
--------------------------------------

I've read about the "Monte Cook" ranger on and off in the Interplay IWD2 boards on and off for a while and liked what I saw in the official PDF description. And since I haven't yet seen a released mod for the MC ranger, I thought that I'd take a stab at it.

I will freely admit up front that I do not have the skill to do a complete
interpretation of the MC ranger. I do not know how to write a a IE script or
create a new SPL spell file. And feel free to call me a little lazy, but I don't
feel like taking the time right now to learn.

This is my "minimalist" interpretation of the Monte Cook Ranger.

Installation:

Simply unzip this ZIP archive in the "override" directory under your IWD2
game directory.

Installation Warning:

This MOD updates 5 of the game's 2DA configuration files. These 2DA files are:

FEATCLAS.2DA
FEATS.2DA
MXSPLRGR.2DA
SKILLPTS.2DA
SKILLS.2DA

If you have already edited any of these files or have downloaded another mod that has installed new version of these files, installing this mod will probably overwrite those files. You will need to install this mod's 2DA files elsewhere and merge in the changes manually.

================================================

These are the basic elements that define the official "Monte Cook" ranger.

A. 1d8 instead of 1d10 for Hit Points

B. Improved Reflex Save bonuses

C. Improved spell progression

D. More skill points

E. Bonus Feats

F. Tracking ability at level 1

G. New and more ranger specific spells and feats

and

H. The removal of the virtual dual-wielding feat

================================================

My "minimalist" implementation:

A. 1d8 Hit Points:

This cannot be changed easily, at least easily for me. All warrior classes are set to determine their HP according to the same 2DA file. If it were changed to 1d8, it would affect all "warrior" classes. Furthermore, I do not have the ability to write any scripts to make this change for rangers only. THEREFORE, I have left this as is, at 1d10.

B. Improved Reflex Save bonuses:

Same as for element "A". The save bonuses for all warrior classes are defined in the same 2DA file. THEREFORE, I have left this as is, meaning no improved Reflex saving throw.

C. Improved Spell Progression:

The spell progression is only mildy better. Furthermore, the official Monte Cook ranger only discusses spell levels 1-4 and only up to level 20. However, I have implemented the improved spell progression for spell levels 1-4 up to level 20. In addition, I have extrapolated the improved progression and updated the table for spell levels 1-6 up to level 30. Don't expect anything extraordinary. It's no more than 1 or maybe 2 levels earlier for each increase.

Edited the MXSPLRGR.2DA file to implement this change.

D. More Skill Points:

This was easy. Rangers now get 3 skill points per level instead of 2.

Edited the SKILLPNTS.2DA file to implement this change.

E. Bonus Feats:

This was also easy. However, I have created 2 versions of this bonus feat
progression. Why? In a thread on the Interplay BB, J.Sawyer suggested spreading out the bonus feat progression a little for game balance. THEREFORE, instead of the 1,4,7,etc. progression used for the official MC Ranger, I have used a 1,5,9,etc. progression.

However, I have also included the 1,4,7 progression in an alternate
FEATCLAS.2DA file, named FEATCLAS_147.2DA. If you would prefer to use the official Bonus Feat progression, simply rename FEATCLAS_147.2DA to FEATCLAS.2DA. Don't worry about losing the 1,5,9 feat progression. I've also included a FEATCLAS_159.2DA file for backup.

Also note that in the official description of the Monte Cook ranger, these bonus feats are supposed to be selected from a specific list of feats. However, many of these feats do not exist in IWD2 and I do not have the ability to limit feat selection. I suppose that this could be an argument in favor of using the slightly slower 1,5,9 feat progression.

Edited the FEATCLAS.2DA file, "ranger" column to implment this change.

F. Tracking:

While I found a pre-existing "tracking" special ability SPL file in IWD2, to the best of my knowledge, it was not used in the official game and I do not know how well it works. THEREFORE, I have left it out and have chosen an alternate means of simulating the tracking ability that I know will function. I have "hardcoded" the ranger to automatically have 1 skill point in Wilderness Lore and the Forester feat at character creation. Is this too much? I don't know how good level 1 ranger tracking should be.
However, since Wilderness Lore is not heavily used in IWD2, I don't think that my solution should be too "offensive".

Edited the SKILLS.2DA and FEATS.2DA files to implement this change.

G. New and more ranger specific spells and feats:

Sorry, but I do not have the ability to create spells and all feats are hardcoded into the game.

H. The removal of the virtual dual-wielding feat:

As this appears to be hardcoded into the game and I do not have the ability to attempt to write a script to remove it, virtual dual-wielding stays. The "good" news is that if you really don't want to use it, you don't have to.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote