Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2002, 07:57 PM   #1
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Hey - I am working out the specs for a party now, one character I want to include is a rogue type. My idea is to end up with some fighter and ranger mixed in, for final levels to be Rogue(X)/Fighter(2)/Ranger(1). Basically I want him to be a dex-type thief who fights well dual wielding short blades. The race I want to use is Tiefling. Stats would be like these:

St: 14
Dx: 20
Co: 16
In: 12
Wi: 10
Ch: 6

I'd dump all the bonus level-up stat points into Dex.

Them comes the trickier part, leveling up and taking feats. I am thinking of going along these lines at this point:

Char Level Rogue Ranger Fighter Feats
1 1 0 0 Power Attack
2 1 1 0 Ranger Dual Wield
3 2 1 0 Weapon Finesse
4 2 1 1 Cleave
6 4 1 1 Dirty Fighting
9 7 1 1 Great Cleave
12 10 1 1 Improved Evasion
13 10 1 2 Improved Critical: Short Blades
15 12 1 2 Crippling Strike

I am guessing as a Tiefling I might finish the game before he reaches 18th, so I'm not counting on getting any more feats. I purposely put off the 2nd Fighter level to 13th so that when I hit 12th I'd have 10 levels of Rogue and be able to take Improved Evasion. I still feel bad for not taking weapon focus in short blades, but weapon finesse will really pump his chances to hit anyway. The other one I feel bad for missing is Envenom Weapon - but I would not be able to get it until 13th anyway, and it would cost 16 skill points. Is it so good thatI should bend over backwards and take it? Also I think cleave will be cool, especially if he's backstabbing and has a good chance to take down the first guy he hits in one shot, so I wanted to max it.

For skills, he's going to try to keep Open Lock, Disable Device and Use Magic Device maxed out; otherwise he'll also work on Hide, Move Silently, and Search. Maybe on Alchemy if I want to go the Envenom Weapon route but I doubt it. He's not the most charismatic guy so I might just ignore things like Bluff and Intimidate. Bluff maybe as he gets the racial bonus - he won't be the party leader though, so is it worth it to bother with Bluff? Are there party-leader type situations where if say my real party leader is good in Diplomacy I might want to switch in the Rogue to use Bluff instead?

What do you all think? I am going to post again for my 2 "tank" builds too in a little while, and eventually my Cleric and 2 Wizards (still have to digest the spell realms, dieties, etc.).

[ 09-15-2002, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: Gimli ]
Old 09-15-2002, 10:07 PM   #2
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

If you multi-class 3 classses you get xp penalty. I have a fighter/rogue too. First, I choosed thiefling but later I decided to take human. humans get +1 skill point (which means int +2) thiefling gets +4 but lack of -2 ability point. if you give this +2 to int, they're same [img]smile.gif[/img] but humans get extra feat and 2 sp in beginning. plus they dont have slow level adjustment.
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 11:28 PM   #3
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

The way I'm doing it won't incur the Exp penalty. Rogue is the Tiefling's favored class, so it doesn't count. Otherwise, he gets 1 Ranger level and 2 Fighter levels - so long as those two classes are kept within 1 level of each other, there's no penalty.