Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2002, 03:12 PM   #1
Tormentor
Manshoon

This one is really frustrating, i own the ORIGINAL copy of IWD for a couple of years now, never had any problems with it. completed the game twice, but i decided to re-install it again today, to play some more! but now hear this: whenever i start running IWD, it says: Please insert the ORIGINAL cdrom in drive. what the hell? The ORIGINAL CDrom is in there & the game is fully installed, what can be wrong? or what did go wrong? i don't get it!? Help me out please! I haven't spot any scratches on the cd-rom either!.
Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 03:33 PM   #2
Roboghost
Manshoon

I use Disk 2. Could that be it?
Roboghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 03:42 PM   #3
Tormentor
Manshoon

nope... it keeps asking for the ORIGINAL IWD cd... doesnt matter if i put disc 1 or 2 in it.... perhaps this could be a hardware problem?
Old 12-04-2002, 03:50 PM   #4
Darkman

Maybe you should try reinstalling it. If it doesn't work after that make sure you have the latest patches installed and see if that helps.

I was bored so I reinstalled IWD just now, full install, and it works just fine for me. It asked me to put in Disk 2 instead of Disk 1, but otherwise there were no problems.

Something probably got copied wrong or something when you installed it. I'd reinstall it and give it another try. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2002, 04:01 PM   #5
Tormentor
Manshoon

Ive re-installed it for a couple of times allready, tried it on full install / minimal and recommended! but it still doesn't work...! i haven't had any problems with it before, so i think patches won't help either... Ive also deleted every IWD tag within the windows registry and re-installed it, but that didn't work either... ive allways been using drive F: for my cd-rom as well... so hmm i am completely lost... perhaps it's time to format this damn computer and re-install everything... isn't anyone familiar with this problem ?
Old 12-04-2002, 07:25 PM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Is it spinning up in your Cd-rom drive? If not then its your hardware. If it is then the Cd's have become corrupted over time. This happend with my BG2 on the second installation.
Try copying all the files from both cd's to your C drive (in the same directory) and run a full install there. If at any point a file will not copy it is this file that is corrupted. Good luck!
Old 12-04-2002, 10:01 PM   #7
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I believe I had a similar problem. I think what I did I actually went in and opened up the install exe from within the cd itself (explorer) rather than use the one that opens when you place the cd in the drive. I have had it uninstalled for quite some time now so I check to see what I did if I have problems this time.

OK just installed! My problem was a little different I actualy didn't have the option to choose Min, Full, or Recommend. So it would give me no selection and therefore I am stuck. I got around this buy seleting setup from the CD itself. When I do this the options are offered.

[ 12-04-2002, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 11:20 PM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Pritchke you may try cleaning the game registry there, as your problem could be 'clutter' and stuck registry keys. Go to your start menu and select Run, then select Browse and do so to the setup.exe file in your IWD directory and click ok. You should now see the path and file name, after this type CleanRegistry.
Example "C: Program files/Black Isle/Icewind Dale/setup.exe Clean Registry".
Then try restarting and installing the game.
Old 12-04-2002, 11:41 PM   #9
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

Tormentor, an issue similar to the one you described was recently reported on the BlackIsle support forums. I haven't seen a specific solution to it yet, and the BlackIsle boards are down for maintenance tonight.

Do you by any chance have a Gateway PC? I've run across a couple references to this same problem occurring with some BG and BG 2 installations on Gateway PCs.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:27 PM   #10
Tormentor
Manshoon

no, i don't have a gateway pc. anyway the problem still hasn't been solved, now i'm playing BG2:SoA again... at least it works... hehe...