Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2002, 11:32 AM   #1
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Whenever I try and play the game now, it seems to be very sluggish. Help! [img]tongue.gif[/img] Thanks! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 03:07 PM   #2
Seraph
Quintesson

What kind of system do you have?

Do you have the patches installed?
Heart of Winter?
TotLM?

Is it sluggish all the time, or only in some areas.

You really should give more information with a question like this.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 03:46 PM   #3
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph:
What kind of system do you have?

Do you have the patches installed?
Heart of Winter?
TotLM?

Is it sluggish all the time, or only in some areas.

You really should give more information with a question like this.
I have MacOS 8.6
No Patches
I don't have Heart of Winter or Trials of the Luremaster
And it seems to be sluggish all the time.
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 01:04 PM   #4
NobleNick
Quintesson

Sir Goulum,

Ah, grasshopper, it is because I cast "slow" on your machine... so I can catch up to you on your journeys!

Seriously: I will probably never have your problem, since 95% of my game time is spent on pause; but I have heard about this problem before. However, since it didn't apply to me, I forget both the diagnosis and the cure. The expert answer *IS* on this forum; though you may have to search threads as far back as 7 months ago (3/2002).

If you're not willing to do the search, my advice is to tell you: Do it anyway! If you still won't take this route, then the best I can offer is:

First off. You might be experiencing a virus that has nothing to do with your game. Do other games on your machine behave this way?

I would save several copies of my character export and (important) game files, with at least one copy being on removable media. Then I would totally annihilate the topmost IWD-related folder and everything below. Then re-install. Move your saved files back and fire up the game. (All this should take you 30-45 minutes.) If this doesn't solve your problem, my vote would be either virus or your game is not patched correctly.

Since you have neither patches nor HoW/TotLM installed, there is an excellent possibility that this is your problem. To ensure that your game is patched up the way it should be, get HoW (if you still can get it alone) and then download and install TotLM. (As a bonus, enjoy LOTS of neat upgrades to IWD.)

I also vaguely remember some problems that were solved by fiddling with game settings. Sorry, don't remember the problems nor the solutions, just that the discussions are in this forum, and that at some of them are quite old (3-7 months).

I hope that helps.

Party On!

[ 11-04-2002, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 03:32 PM   #5
SirWillow
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Or it's possible that it might be because you're running a processor intensive Windows game through an emulator to be able to play it on a Mac that's its not designed for.

In which case if it's because you're running it on a Mac through an emulator there's little to nothing you can do about it. Except go buy a real computer.