Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2002, 01:35 PM   #11
zakharak
The Magister

Quote:
When it comes to priest-spells I always use 1 lvl Sanctuary - especially around undead. Cast spell - walk forward - turn undead. Those you can't kill outright you can "herd" into a corner. Then you can use fireball, skull trap ect.
I have never used sanctuary. Though i do use a hammer that casts it once a day. But another point: Turn undead has never once worked for me, so in turn i never used it at all. Now i am in the top of the temple of Easthaven, so i suppose its fruitless.

Does that ability get better when HOW is installed?

Zakharak
Old 03-26-2002, 09:06 AM   #12
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Turning undead is not a sure fire thing. The designers have done a reasonably good job of making sure that your cleric's level is just low enough so that he doesn't totally vaporize undead. It's still an effective tactic even if you only repel some of the undead - IF you don't go and immediately attack them as that dispels the turning for those undead. That allows you focus your attacks on the unaffected undead.

In HOF mode however, burial isle becomes a blast with an ultra high level cleric! You can stand back behind a shield of fighters and simply vaporize almost all of the undead that you encounter (possible exceptions being the bear spirits). yes, even the wailing virgins can be vaporized en masse. (Serves them right too .... ) [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 03:41 PM   #13
Midget Gems

I can't believe it - I totally missed the idea of using Thief skills while under the protection of Sanctuary. I am using a Dual-Class Thief/Cleric to do my trap finding and this technique is ideal for him. I just tried it for the first time -walked into the room with Yxunomei, disarmed the traps, and walked out again - awesome!

As I said in my previous posting I am trying a non standard party with weak fighters and strong magic users and it is an excellent learning experience. Thanks for your ideas so far - got any more, especially for Clerics or Druids.
Old 04-02-2002, 04:50 PM   #14
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

For the mage I always went with Magic Missle, I used burning hands but often one of my other characters would walk in front of it so I stopped using it. Magic Missle is even better at higher and higher levels. For the Priest cure light wounds, a bless may be alright to have for those tough situations to give you the edge you need but I wouldn't have any more than one used. The only other spell I like at the low levels is entagle even later on in the game it is helpful just use entangle and pick of your enemies one by one.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 04:53 PM   #15
Midget Gems

Yes, the Wimps have triumphed at last!!

As a follow-up to my original posting - news has just come in from Easthaven, that the party of six wimpy dudes, with their poor Strength and/or Constitution have sent the Big Boss back to where he came from. Brains have overcome Brawn and Magic ruled the day.

As they stood and watched, Belhifet toppled over and died from the after effect of good old 'Melfs Acid Arrow'. Victory at last thanks to Magic for Beginners.

[ 05-02-2002, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Midget Gems ]
Old 05-02-2002, 05:20 PM   #16
Azred
Drow Priestess

Melf's Acid Arrow is no joke, especially at higher levels and you cast multiple arrows at a single target. Very few opponents have resistance to acid-based attacks.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 01:20 AM   #17
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

for me it has to be chromatic orb, acid arrow and the 3rd level clerical summon undead. wonderful in HOF mode as your undead get boosted like all your opponents. excellent for adsorbing damage while u duke it out with ranged weapons.