Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2002, 10:37 AM   #1
Micalon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm curious about how dual classing works. I've read somewhere that starting out as a fighter, then dualing as another class, like cleric or thief,makes a better character. I realize that you can get better hit points being a fighter but when you become a mage or thief, won't you use weapon profiencies or ability to wear the armor that you would normal need to survive. Could use some advice? Thanks. Micalon
Micalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 11:59 AM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Firstly, only HUMANs can dual class. Demi-humans (elves/dwarves etc.) multi-class. Dual classing involves starting out in one class, then switching to a second class. Skills and proficiencies gained in the first class are temporarily lost UNTIL the level of the second class exceeds the level of the first at the point where you dualled the character. (For example, a 9th lvl thief dualled to a mage would not be able to pickpockets or detect traps until his mage had reached 10th level. Once 10th level is reached as a mage the character would regain his thieving abilities but would not be able to further improve them.)

Dual classing also has specific minimum stat requirements that depend on the class to which you are dualling. for example, a fighter dualled to a mage must have minimu stat requirements in intelligence in order to dual.

Additionally certain dual class combinations have restrictions on the use of weapons and armor, depending on the classes involved. For example, a ranger dualled to a cleric would be restricted to the use of blunt weapons only and would lose the ability to wield a bow or a sword.

Hope that helps.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 04:38 PM   #3
NobleNick
Quintesson

Dual class works best if you think ahead to where you want to end up. It is best that you plan ahead at character generation, since where you allocate your ability points can definitely determine whether and which classes your character will be able to dual class to. (I believe that you need 15+ in all prime requisites of the class you begin with [e.g., intelligence for mage/wizard] AND 17+ in prime requisites for the class you dual class to.)

Dual-classing can help compensate some glaring weakness of a given class, at the expense diverting xp into developing the other class. Often the expense is well worth it.

Example: Mages have really wimpy Hit Points (HP); so starting your mage (wannabe) as a fighter allows her (or him) to build up HP, and weapons skills, before embarking upon her mage career.

Continuing our example: Since fighters get more proficiency points, and are allowed to specialize, you could put 2 proficiency points into dagger and 2 into another weapon that a mage can use (even though you are a fighter at the time, you are thinking ahead, remember?) At fighter level three, add another proficiency point to dagger (or the other weapon that you put 2 proficiency points into). Thne dual over to mage. Now you have spent 4,000 xp (a mere pittance in IWD) and you have a mage with an extra 40-45 HP, that will also be much, MUCH more effective with a dagger, should she be forced into melee.

The same sort of strategy can be applied to, say, priest: Start as fighter and pour all the proficiency points allowed into one weapon allowed by priest (I chose 'mace'). When you dual over to priest, he will be much, Much, MUCH more effective with this weapon than a single class priest ever could be, since single class priests cannot specialize in weapons.

To get a character that REALLY rocks with their chosen weapon, hang in there and keep your character a fighter until level 6, to gain another proficiency point; or even until level 7, to also gain an additional 1/2 melee attack per round. You need 32,000 and 64,000 xp to make level 6 and level 7 fighters, respectively; but this is also a small amount in IWD, where you can expect your characters to each achieve around 1,000,000 xp by game's end.

Remember the rule about exceeding the starting class's level by one before gaining the abilities in that class. I do not know if you temporarily lose the extra proficiency gained in a weapon that the new class allows you to use (does anyone else know?); but I don't think you do. In any case, you get to enjoy to extra HP!

Regards.
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 05:12 PM   #4
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Right if you're a human it may be a great advantage if you dual class. Clerics and Mages are very nice to dual class. Even if you dont want to lose any xp, dual class at level 2 or 3 and you will lose only 2000 or 5000 xp. Dualclassing after level 10 is a little bit risky I mean. And if you dualclass a character and if you were a fighter and then you dualclassed to an another class you can be GM in weapons. That's a great thing!
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote