Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2003, 11:46 AM   #1
DJG
Symbol of Cyric

I think I've got a virus and it's causing a LOT of problems!

It won't let me start very many programs, but my dialler and IE are two that seem to work. I found ominous files suddenly appearing on my firewall, I managed to delete them. There were .tmp files all over my computer that wouldn't delete, but now I've deleted a file that appeared in my Windows Directory called rics.exe I can delete them.

My virus scanner is running overtime trying to find a virus and scanning my entire hard drive for a virus. I've terminated all the none-essential processes running on my computer using Task Manager, I actually terminated a system essential process and caused a restart due to RPC.

My firewall isn't working at all since it won't start so I'm on an unsecure connection here! I've also just noticed a folder I haven't had before called "WUTemp" on my hard drive. Does anyone else have it?

Things are now a lot worse, I can't open display settings because it can't find rundll32.exe

I've ran a complete virus scan and nothing has been found. Nothing works. I'm not even sure how I can get IE and Outlook Express to work. It's obviously a virus because I can open up the folder with the program in it and it says it can't find the path, despite the fact I've opened it AT it's location!

If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it!
Old 10-02-2003, 12:09 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

WUTemp is the Windows Update temporary folder. Should be harmless to delete it.

The rest of it dosent indicate any specific virus. rics.exe is a genuine part of windows. I have no idea which virus is causing this. Terminate all non-essential processes and run an online virus scanner. A virus may have damaged your local scanner, but if it isnt running at the time an online scanner should be able to find it and you can proceed from there. Trend Housecall is a good one.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:12 PM   #3
DJG
Symbol of Cyric

I know something is really up.

I've managed to get MSN started up by scheduling it to start up using the task scheduler to schedule it to open at 17:08. So it's there but it won't open directly. I can schedule it to open but I can't do it directly!

I think that's why IE work. Because I use the "Internet" button on my Start Menu which must do it indirectly.

Do you have an URL for that? Thanks!
Old 10-02-2003, 12:21 PM   #4
andrewas
Harper

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/