Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2003, 04:38 PM   #11
Elif Godson
Dracolich

added a sweet scanner to the mix so I can now scan the thousands of slides and negatives that I have inherited. it came to a grand total of 1578 with shipping [img]smile.gif[/img] I'm just glad I can put it together (I hope [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] )
Old 08-21-2003, 08:40 AM   #12
Thoran
Galvatron

I typically go for Fortron or Antec when buying Power supplies... no sense cheaping out when you can get top quality for a few bucks more. I've never used Allied though so I can't speak to their quality (based on their pricing I'd say they're "budget oriented").

Stay away from the GeforceFX unless it's the 5900 Ultra.

512meg is fine unless you'll be doing a lot of multitasking, but get pc3200 as stated earlier.

17" flat panel is nice but you can get a 22" tube for the same money... I'm staring at a FE2111SB right now and can unequivocally say it crushes any 17" panel on the market (figuratively and literally [img]smile.gif[/img] ), although I gotta admit that I'm addicted to 1600x1200 for both gaming and working, so I'm a bit biased.

Audigy good.

To my knowledge, hyperthreading isn't of much use other than in very specific circumstances... one's your unlikely to see unless this box is going to be a server.

Go for Serial ATA, your mobo supports it and it's only a few bucks more for the drive.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:26 AM   #13
MagiK

The worriers about the GeForce FX 5200's are over stated [img]smile.gif[/img] I have a Verto FX 5200 Ultra and it runs sweet and fine with none of that crappy Radeon driver issue. Seriously I like the card. It may not be top of the line but the number of frames per second difference between it and the radeons isn't noticable by my aging eyes. (newly rejuvenated by LasiK surgery 2 years ago I might add) I like Antec Power supplies...and I agree that you should get the PC3200 memory if you can handle the price differential...again the PC2700 won't be causeing you a lot of grief with any game currently on the market.

Old 08-21-2003, 02:45 PM   #14
Elif Godson
Dracolich

I changed up the memory for corsair pc3200, bought a gig of it. Trashed the flat panel, it was actually cheaper then the 21's I was looking so settled on a 19 incher, I have limited desk space and this one had the best dimensions and abilities for the price. I did a lot of research on these items at http://www.tomshardware.com/ and http://www.sharkyextreme.com/index.php and a few other sites. I managed to change my configuration 4 different times in all of this but I am settled now and have taken the plunge with the blessings of my loving wife [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img] I have heard mixed reports on HT but tit seems to be for the better for everything that I am going to need this box to do. Now if I can only place it in a spot in my house where I can work undisturbed fro the most part I would extatically happy !! but alas I will be sitting right next to where my other pc will be and within tackling distance of babies so distractions galore for me