Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2003, 04:11 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Light Bulb

I've just run a sysinfo tool on my PC and it suggests that I update my video BIOS, which hasn't been updated since late 2001 apparently (when I got this PC). Has anyone ever done this, and what does it do?

Old 08-02-2003, 05:12 AM   #2
andrewas
Harper

The same as any other BIOS flash - not as much as you might hope. You might see a small speed increase if the old BIOS is a particularly early version, and there will be a page or two of bugfixes, most of which you wont care about since the drivers already compensate for them. And finaly, if you are having hardware incompatability the BIOS flash might fix things.

Of course, as with any other BIOS, if the power fluctuates during the flash, you are in deep trouble. Only home fix on a Motherboard is to get an identical BIOS chip, boot with it, swap it *while the computer is running* and try the flash again. And it would be an even more stupid idea on a video BIOS, since its harder to get at. Or you could spend £30 on a new BIOS from the manufacturer.

If your going to do it, and I personaly would skip it unless there was a specific problem, then make sure the power is steady, and make sure you follow the instructions to the letter.
Old 08-02-2003, 11:39 AM   #3
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Only flash the BIOS to fix certain problem like hardware incompatibility. I used to flash my old Gigabyte GA-5AA to fix the compatibility problem with my old TNT2. Anyway, after countless updates, my problem wasn't solved and I dumped both the motherboard and the graphic card.

Sometimes the update/patch does help but only do it if you are desperate enough to risk it. For me, I would rather go for a new mobo.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:18 PM   #4
lethoso
Manshoon

video card bios flash is much less dangerous than a motherboard bios flash, if your computer does lose power/crash/whatever you can just boot it up with a pci video card so you can see what you are doing(if you have one, if not you can get a crappy one for like $10), and reflash your video card.

but what sort of video card do you have? i know that with radeon 8500's there are significant improvements if you flash with a different bios, but i'm not sure about other cards.
Old 08-02-2003, 06:54 PM   #5
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

As far as I'm concerned, flashing a BIOS is only to be undertaken if or when the benefits are clear and make the whole thing worth the risk. Unless there is aclear reason to do this e.g. hardware incompatibility, I'd steer clear.

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)