Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2003, 05:46 PM   #1
Chewbacca
Zartan

Okay I have a Santa Cruz soundcard and last night I went to the web sight and downloaded the latest drivers and installed them. Well upon rebooting my system and firing up windows media player to listen to some tunes whilst being artful my computer froze. I did a ctrl+alt+del restart and everything went to hell.

My mouse quit working, my nvidia video drivers went missing, ect. I finally got windows to cooperate and reinstalled all missing drivers, ect. and all is well now except my sound card doesn't work at all.

I have un-installed the "new" drivers and reinstalled the "old" drivers and the device is listed in the device manager as "working properly" but nothing happens. If I check the drivers properties it tells me the drivers are loaded properly but the device doesn't work for an unknown reason.

I have rooted around the turtle beach website for any helpful faq to no avail and I really can't afford to pay for tech support. The next step I will take is to physically remove and reinstall the sounscard and see what happens.

Any insight or help on why this happened and how to fix it or avoid it again would be helpful.

Thanks.

[ 05-27-2003, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 05-27-2003, 06:06 PM   #2
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

ok, have you tried running the diagnostic on it? sometimes that will help, we have had problems with our too, after we installed the nvidia vedio card everything went to hell, do you have a roll back system? if so try rolling your hard drive back to just before you updated the drivers, see if that works, if you do not have one, then I am clueless how to help you, ours fixed it self after about 2 weeks of critcal errors, it works fine now, but still has a problem installing off of cd's, anyway hope this helps
Old 05-27-2003, 06:46 PM   #3
Chewbacca
Zartan

I don't have any sort of system roll-back utility that I am aware of, but I'm going to investigate them if it will prevent this from happening again. I need sound on my PC!!!!
Thanks for the reply Stormymystic. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2003, 06:48 PM   #4
Zero Alpha

if the problems occoured after restarting from the internet, search for viruses. otherwise it sounds like time for a clean install of windows - does wonders for the speed and stabilty of your machine. you could get a techie freind to spend a couple days solving these problems, but to be honest it would take more time and effort than is really worth it.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:52 PM   #5
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

hmm.. well... format --- > reinstall windows can do it.. (i dont like that too)

other than that.. im lost..

Catch me if you can..
Old 05-27-2003, 11:47 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

You can do a fresh install of Windows over the top of your current install. What it will do is put everything back to what it was. That's saved me a couple of times.

You can also try de-installing the sound card completely (remove it from device manager). When you get a prompt, tell windows to get rid of the drivers. Then reboot, and it should find the card again. Tell it what drivers you want to use at that point. Alternately, you can install the old drivers specifically; don't agree to the "use the drivers on disk" question, but specify the exact one you want to use.

Beats the heck out of a format... but not by much
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:24 AM   #7
Chewbacca
Zartan

Thanks ya'll. I love how friendly Ironworks people are! [img]smile.gif[/img]

One more question....
If I reinstall windows will I hafta reinstall ALL my applications and reload my files on my hard drive from a back up? Or will windows simply write all the essential files leaving everything else intact?
Old 05-28-2003, 01:25 AM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Windows will not de-install your applications. It may try to change file associations to their defaults, but it should leave 'most everything else alone.

I've done it before, and it hasn't been that painful.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:10 AM   #9
Zero Alpha

please note: if you format, then install from fresh all your apps + data will go. however in my expirince if you use the reinstall feature to install over the top of your old install, you still get many of the instabilitys and quirks that you had before, and possibly some fresh one.

red pill or blue pill?
Old 05-28-2003, 01:04 PM   #10
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero Alpha:
please note: if you format, then install from fresh all your apps + data will go. however in my expirince if you use the reinstall feature to install over the top of your old install, you still get many of the instabilitys and quirks that you had before, and possibly some fresh one.

red pill or blue pill?
Hmmm, Can I just take a pill and have sound on my pc again? I wish! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Considering my machine behaved very well and very stable until this soundcard driver incident I'm going to try to reinstall first and if that doesn't solve the problem then I will wipe the drive. Well fortunately I am "back-up happy" with regards to my files, so alot of my files are already on cdr. One less step to walk through I suppose.

Thanks again, everyone, for your input and help! My homemade machine has been blessed with over a year of trouble-free use so perhaps time just caught up with it... [img]smile.gif[/img]