Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2002, 12:06 AM   #1
Gage
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am in the Underland trying to get past Irenicus. I have been unsuccessful more times than I would like to admit. I was able to get past him once but was wiped out by the Beholders in the Nine Hells section. I was hoping someone could provide some advice about the best strategy for the battle with Irenicus. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 12:50 AM   #2
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Im guessing that you are talking about Irenicus in hell..... anyway the Fear test (The one with the gauth and Beholders on one side and only a chest on the other) Is easily gotten past even without the cloak... just get a party member to cast a fear resisting spell and go around the chest way and click on the crystals.... easy [img]smile.gif[/img] To beat Irenicus when he turns into the slayer I always take down the demons first and then focus on the Irenicus Slayer... I find it much easier than the battle with him at the tree of life.... basicly I like to let him use all his protection spells then keep away from him till they were off.... it takes longer than just bashing away at him but it is much easier ...

Btw the slayer regenerates pretty fast... so when you focus on him hack away at him with everything, if you've got ToB and are high enough level keep some Whirlwinds in store if you need them etc.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 01:07 AM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

? You should have killed the Beholders before you fought Jon Irenicus. Do you have either of the following?

Shield of Balduran: Get one character to wear this and confront the Beholders. Their Beholder Rays will bounce off and hit them instead. Be careful not to let Elder Orbs near your character, as that means they intend to use an Imprisonment attack on you. Use your other party members to use range attacks on the Elder Orb as the character holding the SoB walks in circles, away from the Elder Orb.

Cloak of Reflection: Same theory as the SoB. If you have ToB, the CoR will be nerfed, and you will still need to attack the Beholders. Never engage in melee attacks with Elder Orbs however.

Jon Irenicus Made Easy:
-----------------------

Before you insert the last Tear of Bhaal, get ready first. Cast long-lasting spells like Chaotic Commands, Stoneskins, Resist Fear, etc... on your party members.

See the statue in the center of the map? Move everybody except your main character below the statue. Now summon five of your best summons. Some great summons to fight the Devils and Demons, are Fire Elementals, Skeleton Warriors, Aerial Servants and Mountain Bears. Consider casting Haste on them as well, especially for the Mountain Bears. Mountain Bears on Haste are terrifying.

Insert the last Tear of Bhaal and summon Jon Irenicus. The moment you regain party control, use one of your spellcasters to cast True Sight, and let your summons handle the Devils and Demons. Concentrate on Jon Irenicus.

Note: Jon Irenicus will cast a Simulacrum of himself, which is basically a clone. Try not to waste effort on the clone, which usually just stands still and does nothing other than look pretty with all its' spell protections.

The real Jon Irenicus teleports to the south-west of the center statue. Charge there and swarm him. Your spellcasters should immediately cast the following in order.

Breach for the Spell Shield,
Ruby Ray of Reversal for the Spell Trap and Khelben's Warding Whips for everything else.

Remember, if you have more than one mage, you can cast them all at the same time. If you want to use offensive spells on him, remember to cast at least three Lower Resistances to get rid of his magic resistances.

As for your tanks, remember to rotate them. If at any time one of them is taking too much of a beating, make him/her retreat and try to divert Jon Irenicus' attention to another tank while the injured tank heals either by Potions or Clerical means.

Good luck, and have fun!

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 01:41 AM   #4
Lanthir
Drizzt Do'Urden

spoiler.
I tend to summon Divas and fallen Divas for the fight Since they have high Mr. What i do is after summonin ghim is run south of the statue with his demons following and I fight them there takin gthem out first. Then I advance a diva towards him so he puts up his shields. Then I stay away till they drop and then charge him when he ports i just run south again till I get to him.
Old 04-30-2002, 01:43 AM   #5
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Unfortunately You cant do that without ToB Lanthir
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 01:50 AM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Usually when I reply in the SoA Forum, I tend to avoid ToB related stuff unless the person specifically says he/she has ToB as well. Therefore, I urge everybody not to assume that everybody else has ToB installed.
Old 04-30-2002, 02:13 AM   #7
Faceman
Hathor

might I add a bit of cheese?

The easiest tactic to beat Irenicus with even a low-level party is the following:
memorize a lot of summoning spells, some haste and some other party improvement stuff --
summon some pets before opening the gate - cast haste on your party -
once the fight starts use ther pets to keep the demons busy and retreat down the staircases 2,3 or 4 (as in Dundee's post) -
Now wait for Irenicus spell protections to wear off and send in some of the weaker pets every now and then to make sure he uses up all his high level spells on them - once he is down to the spell level you feel able to face --> charge! (but beware of his Magic Missiles, they may be lvl1 but they are among his best attacks - so if you can't take the heat better summon cannon fodder until he is spellless (love that word))
use haste, improved haste and lots of improvement spells before charging with everything you've got. when he's down to badly injured or Near Death use all the time stop scrolls you have with your strongest (referring to melee) wizard and just hit away at him while tim is freezing, thus hindering him to regenerate.
Old 04-30-2002, 02:41 AM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Ah, Faceman has given me an idea.

HARM

If you have a Mage/Cleric, and assuming you casted 3-4 Lower Resistances beforehand, get him/her to cast Time Stop from a scroll, cast Harm and whack Jon Irenicus, reducing him to 1 Hp.

If your Mage/Cleric still has time during the Time Stop, proceed to spit on Jon Irenicus or poke him.

Remember, all hits made during a Time Stop are guaranteed hits.

I am in doubt though, since I recall Jon Irenicus being immuned to the effects of Time Stop in the Nine Hells. If he is not, all the better.