Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 03:28 AM   #1
Don Bolo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well I decided to dust off my copy that has been sitting around all these years and got to 3rd level Since I've played all the Balder Gate series, I wasn't sure what the 3.5 rules for AD&D differ in TOEE.

I created a monk and dualclassed him to wizard at lvl 9 which worked out really well in Balders Gate.

But will it work here in TOEE? How effective is the monk really in the mid to late game?

Right now most of my charcters are 3rd level so I haven't gotten very far.

My party consists of

Fighter (might dualclass him to be a pally or barbarian)
Cleric (dualclass to be pally soon I think)
Rogue (to be dualclassed to bard later)
monk (to be dualclassed to wizard)
druid ( I like the companion but druid has been only an extra healer for now)

I only have one NPC following me around and that is Elmo.

I hope that some NPCs are integral parts of the story or at least give some additional background.

Anyway, I hope people still remember this game hehe.

Thanks all!
Old 01-10-2005, 06:12 PM   #2
Don Bolo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Another thing..the manual doesn't say how far your characters can level up to. Is it 10th lvl? 20th lvl?

As I only see spells up to 10th lvl I assume the game is geared towards under 20th.

Is this true?
Old 01-10-2005, 06:36 PM   #3
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Level 10 is the maximum you can reach in TOEE. Haven't played far, can't remember why.
Anyways, it's the kind of game where you'll want to go out and celebrate every time you gain a level [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2005, 02:15 AM   #4
Lucern
Quintesson

Welcome to our forum!

Here's what's cool about the game in terms of party development. You can pick whatever you want. Go ahead. Invent. I bet you'll still win. I would advise against all that multiclassing. In third edition (well 3.5), IMO, feats let you make up for perceived inabililties. Besides, you'll stop at 10, and you will want the full 10th level powers of whatever class you have. In 2nd edition there really was no reason to have a 10th level rogue, for example, but with this game, some of my most vicious combatants were 10th level rogues.

I beat it with a party entirely under 3.5 feet lol. My monk, even being tiny, was still effective, though certain monsters simply shut him down.

Make sure you're prepared to deal with creatures who are highly immune to certain things. You'll want a powerful spellcaster to get through physical resistances, and you'll want a variety of spell damage types. You'll also want someone who simply does a lot of damage. Consider the possibility of meeting creatures who take half damage from spells, or those who resist 20 hitpoints of damage PER STRIKE. Also consider that your spellcasters get the opportunity for having feats that allow you to make magical items. It's an awesome ability, and well worth the money.

One more, consider the range of your characters and enemies as you move around in combat. Watch for attacks of opportunity as you move around. It kills. Any character with a Glaive or Long Spear has an awesome advantage of range, especially with the feat that gives unlimited attacks of opportunity.

You'll also have some power to hire others...which will make up for anything you may be lacking in. I think I counted 36 different NPCs in the game who could join you.

Have fun with that underrated game, but make sure to patch first.

[ 01-11-2005, 02:15 AM: Message edited by: Lucern ]
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:45 AM   #5
Don Bolo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Great thanks for the info. Now that I know the game caps out at 10th it makes a bit difference. I won't bother multiclassing then.

Too bad since that really does limit what you can do.

Also do NPC suck up xp gained from your overall party or do NPCs get rewarded separately? I wasn;t too clear on that and the manual wasn't clear either. I didn't take on that many NPCs since I didn't want to drain my XP received from my other party members.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:47 AM   #6
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Funny, I just created a new party on the weekend too. I'm not sure what you mean by the game being old though?

If you check the forum at Atari you'll get a lot more info there too. Many players didn't take npc's 'cos they took money and other items found until their inventory was full. I don't like 'em myself. The party you make up is plenty strong enough.

[ 01-11-2005, 06:48 AM: Message edited by: Variol (Farseer) Elmwood ]
Old 01-11-2005, 02:31 PM   #7
Don Bolo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

In Wizardry 8, the NPCs there share the total xp that your party gained which lowers your leveling characters in the long run.

So I haven't bother taking any NPCs from that game.

But I do like Elmo though since he only takes money and is a pretty decent fighter

[ 01-11-2005, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Don Bolo ]
Old 01-11-2005, 07:05 PM   #8
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I love Wiz8! C'mon Don marry me! Oh, sorry, too late! I usually only take about 3 in my Wiz8 party anyway. And 3 of the same. 3 Lords 3 Gadgies, you know. I just bought BG2 collection on the way home. $20cdn, I figure it's worth a try.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:31 PM   #9
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I refuse to Play TOEE until I can get enough good portraits to make a all female human/elf party.

[ 01-12-2005, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 01-12-2005, 09:06 PM   #10
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
I refuse to Play TOEE until I can get enough good portraits to make a all female human/elf party.
LOL...the portraits and voices in the game are pretty limited, so I know what you mean.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote