Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2002, 12:24 AM   #1
The Cavalier
Manshoon

I was thinking about purchasing Dungeon Siege, but I'm not sure if I want it, and I can't find much for reviews and stuff on the net. Does it have a high level of customization, like baldurs gate? I mean, can I create a party of my own people, and the like? Do I get to choose a class and that kinda thing? Are the usual weapons (swords, shields, axes, bows, etc.) there? Any information would be helpful. . .
The Cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 12:33 AM   #2
pschub
Dungeon Master

I thought it was way too linear and not nearly as challenging as the baldur's gate series. But the mods are good I hear
pschub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 12:38 AM   #3
The Cavalier
Manshoon

Or should I just go with Icewind dale or something like that? Iwant a game similar to Baldurs gate, but in 3d. or am I demanding too much?
The Cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 01:00 AM   #4
chrisofthedale
Account Removed by Request

go for icewind dale 2, its good
chrisofthedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 02:01 AM   #5
pcgiant
Symbol of Cyric

I would suggest posting this on the General Conversation forum, because it really doesn't have anything to do with BG2, and this is, after all, the BG2 forum.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:16 AM   #6
Vedran
Lord Soth

Yes, or even better at misc rpg forum.
There is no class in DS to choose at the beggining - you shape your char (and NPCs) through the game. Their stats snd weapon-magic skills raise with use.
I don't think you can create more then one char, but I've played only demo.
The equipment is standard RPG equipment.
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 03:55 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Moving this to the Misc. CRPGs Forum. Cheers. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-11-2002, 03:57 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 07:52 AM   #8
Callum Kerr
Drizzt Do'Urden

Dungeon Siege was a pretty good game
It's totally seamless for one thing (no loads between worlds), so it is one HUGE area. The graphics are ok, but they aren't that crisp image like in Icewind Dale (and probably Baldur's Gate). You create your first character, but really only his appearance. You can then choose to progress along different lines. You can choose combat magic, nature magic, ranged weapons or melee weapons. As you use the magic to kill enemies you progress in levels of that skill. On a totally different track, you gain points for strength intelligence etc, as you use different skills. For example melee weapons use more strength, so that is developed more. If you think about it, it's more realistic... as you use a skill more, you get better at it, rather than suddenly discovering new skills within yourself after you have got so much experience - not that I'm didding IWD or anything. After the first character, you pick up more characters as you go along - up to a maximum of 6 - which you can at any point dismiss from your party, at which point they will wait in the same place in case you want them. An interesting point is that you can buy packmules that can carry about three times as much as your PCs. THe only thing is that this game is VERY linear... about three side quests in the whole game... and it is not particularly challenging. I never had more than one character killed... and usually by an explosive spell. The enemies have quite good A1 however, so they will pursue you if you retreat... and you can't just leave the area... or retreat themselves, or hide until you pass them and jump out at your spellcasters, or whatever.
But the enemies are really not a challenge. The most powerful character is right at the end (surprisingly enough) and I just kept whacking at him and hitting the heal potion hotkey (a brilliant idea). Earlier there was a dragon that was only hard as he had so many hit points... no real threat.
But it is still a pretty awesome game

However, if you can only buy one game, buy IWD2, it is THE BEST!!

[ 11-11-2002, 07:53 AM: Message edited by: Callum Kerr ]
[img]\"http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwARAyMWqyivmPQQNWY0hVVRv3oUvlvq5uMcEd3!RZut55dm8 emNqpdvpE7IkB0Cpa1ykaC4MbaPQTDKfXyfz!1y5xDqyJez01d EkyCZjmc/Callum.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Puff the magic dragon!
Callum Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 08:46 AM   #9
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

I agree with Callum Kerr. It is also extremely fun on multiplayer LAN, 2 friends of mine and myself played it for a week almost non-stop.

The fun thing about single player is that you can have a party of 8, even IWD 2 can't beat that
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 06:18 PM   #10
HolyWarrior
User Suspended for 2 weeks by Ziroc [Dec30]

Tried out the demo. Yes, it is extremely linear, but fun to play. I'll wait till the price comes down, though.
HolyWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote