Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2001, 09:00 PM   #1
onthepequod
Quintesson

Perhaps Novel would be a more appropriate term. Here is my dilema. I am currently approximately 60.5% of the way through The Brothers Karamotzov with a mere 350 pages left. I am trying to decide what to read next and thought I would poll all of you for your ideas.

However, there is some groundwork I need to lay.
1) While I immensely enjoy authors like Brooks and Jordan, I want to stay within the classics.
2) I am finishing Dostoyevski two books after some Tolstoy. Consequently I want to stay away from Russian authors for a while.
3) While I loved Mobey Dick, the rest of Melville's work is probably too esoteric for me.
4) Tolkien is incredible but I have read the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy numerous times and am looking for something different.
5) Beowulf is a great idea but I am sving this to read to my son in a few weeks.

Other than that, it is completely open. I am considering Dickens, Chaucer, Hugo, Virgil, and Hommer. I would be very interested to hear opions on these or any others you think would be beneficial. Also, please tell me what you like (and perhaps disliked) about your suggestions.

Thanks.
onthepequod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 09:15 PM   #2
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Chaucer. Canterbury Tales. Old English is best if you can read it, but modern is ok. I love Chaucer. Some VERY rude stuff in there as well Some of the 'Tales' are a touch boring, but if you like Russian authors...! But some of 'em are very funny! One or two are downright crude! All good, though. Read Chaucer - you won't EVER regret it!

------------------
Smile! Life is too short for bitching!

Fljotsdale
Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 09:17 PM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Onthepequod-- We have a GREAT book forum for this sort of thing..go to the main page. It claims it's fantasy and D&D in the title, but don't believe it! You can talk about any books there! I have and RudeDawg is a regular. So wander over there, and repost this there! We'd LOVE it!!!!

CloudLibrarian

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever
Cloudbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 09:20 PM   #4
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Now why didn't I think of that? Must be senility, lol

------------------
Smile! Life is too short for bitching!

Fljotsdale
Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 09:21 PM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by onthepequod:
Perhaps Novel would be a more appropriate term. Here is my dilema. I am currently approximately 60.5% of the way through The Brothers Karamotzov with a mere 350 pages left. I am trying to decide what to read next and thought I would poll all of you for your ideas.

However, there is some groundwork I need to lay.
1) While I immensely enjoy authors like Brooks and Jordan, I want to stay within the classics.
2) I am finishing Dostoyevski two books after some Tolstoy. Consequently I want to stay away from Russian authors for a while.
3) While I loved Mobey Dick, the rest of Melville's work is probably too esoteric for me.
4) Tolkien is incredible but I have read the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy numerous times and am looking for something different.
5) Beowulf is a great idea but I am sving this to read to my son in a few weeks.

Other than that, it is completely open. I am considering Dickens, Chaucer, Hugo, Virgil, and Hommer. I would be very interested to hear opions on these or any others you think would be beneficial. Also, please tell me what you like (and perhaps disliked) about your suggestions.

Thanks.
Mikhail Bulgakov: The Master and Margarita

WONDERFUL

CloudLibrarian

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever
Cloudbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 09:28 PM   #6
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by onthepequod:
My mistake, I didn't realize there was a book section. Sorry all.

No problem, but it is a good forum, and we would love to have more regular visitors!!!
<---- heh, he's reading, get it?

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
and my girlfriends, Pamila and Pfil
RudeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 09:30 PM   #7
onthepequod
Quintesson

I have officially reposted in the book forum so please ignore this thread.
Old 05-11-2001, 02:14 PM   #8
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Sun Tzu - The Art of War

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)
MILAMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 10:22 PM   #9
Balgin
Elminster

Hmm, if you want to stay within the Classics why not vear over towards Chaucer (Old English is something that I normally can read, and middle english even easier), but if you want to try at Beowulf later then why not try the Lakriverdaela Saga (might have spelt that wrong) or Njal's Saga. Any of the Icelandic Sagas are great but these two are the best. If you can get it The Odessey contains some rather graphic accounts of violence (similar to The Illiad in this respect) but these are rare (the Cyclops eating Odesseus crew, the slaughter of the suitors etc). I'd recommend it. Enjoy.

------------------
Balgin, the Dwarf
Balgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 06:18 PM   #10
onthepequod
Quintesson

I appreciate the input everyone has given on this thread. You have given me something to think about. But Since I now have 2 threads on this topic, I would like to kill this one. So please post any replies to the other.

Does anyone know how I can move the topic related replies to the other thread? RudeDawg?

BTW, Balgin, ever been to Hay-On-Wye? Let me know on the other thread please.