Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > NWN Mod: Escape from Undermountain
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2003, 01:39 AM   #1
Chewbacca
Zartan

Somebody had an uber character tonight that took out big red on lvl 9 solo pretty much, could cast time stop and ressurect and took no damage....ever. GRRRRRRRRRRR!
Old 09-13-2003, 01:42 AM   #2
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

There, there Shuey. I was there, it's alright. Big Red was unfortunately a total joke thanks to this character's antics. I have no idea how we could do it, but somehow to block these guys would be nice. I swear, when he started asking my fighter with 31 strength and the best katana in the base game why I died so much, I almost flipped.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:00 AM   #3
Legolas
Jack Burton

Wasn't there, but I know what you mean
Between the overpowered characters and out of character talk you'd think this was an action server drawing an otherwise PvP crowd.

There were several occasions where I died and kept lying about rather than respawning. Eventually they realise I'm not getting up, so they use one of their cast-spell-unlimited-times-per-day items and ressurect me. Typing up an IC response thanking them profoundly, admitting my fear and whatnot, the typical response is 'np'. Thanks, now I'm really in the mood [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

So what can us non-DMs do? Drown them out with proper RP of course [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 09:41 AM   #4
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

What I could do, is when I'm not there, make Larry a DM or someone.. THAT WAY, you strip them naked of all uber items and make them play. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I could turn item restrictions on, but it would make a lot of Undermountains items you find unusable.

Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 10:26 AM   #5
Legolas
Jack Burton

Even with item restrictions the more capable uberers can get 100% resistance to damage, a base attack of 45, armour class of over 80 (a legit monk can reach AC 80 too though) and criticals doing 200 damage. I know because I've seen it and heard the boasts.
Those who are not as good at juggling item attributes can get in because the Enforce Legal Characters button is not ticked, and their characters have been modified with a program like ITPTool or similar.

The obvious possible solutions are: ticking the legal characters and item restrictions boxes, getting more DMs to keep an eye on the players and/or writing a script that strips a character of all items with certain properties on entering the game.

The DM option is the friendliest way of doing it, but a 24/7 presence is not realistically possible.
The combination of ticking boxes and stripping items will stop uber characters dead in their tracks, the majority anyway, and what few as do get in are either pretty lonely or easily found out by a DM if one is on. Unfortunately, the more mortal players will also feel the effects of that.
You're probably looking for a balance between the two.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:55 AM   #6
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I got a NASTY surprise for cheaters... [img]smile.gif[/img]

On most levels now, I have a small room with NO exits. And special 'god' monsters that spawn in every 20 seconds, and the floor is littered with 20 traps and signs at each wall saying things like:

"Cheaters are without honor"
"Cheaters have no skill"
"Cheaters fate is sealed"

So, when a DM see's one of these guys, We drop them in this room, and it doesn't matter if they exit the game, because when they come back, they are STILL in that room. lol. They would have to load a new character. lol. It won't stop all cheaters, but it'll sure make them worry.

I'm working on 'detect' traps. These will do checks to see what a person has on them, and their stats. If they fail the check, they will be teleported to this room, or maybe just booted..

Old 09-13-2003, 11:58 AM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

WOW! I really like that detect traps idea! That would take away the need for a DM to have to manually load them to the area! That is sooooo cool!
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 12:10 PM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I think I'm still set up as a DM...if I see one of those munchkins we'll strip 'em nude and put 'em in with Big Red.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 01:21 PM   #9
Legolas
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
I got a NASTY surprise for cheaters... [img]smile.gif[/img]

On most levels now, I have a small room with NO exits. And special 'god' monsters that spawn in every 20 seconds, and the floor is littered with 20 traps and signs at each wall saying things like:

"Cheaters are without honor"
"Cheaters have no skill"
"Cheaters fate is sealed"

So, when a DM see's one of these guys, We drop them in this room, and it doesn't matter if they exit the game, because when they come back, they are STILL in that room. lol. They would have to load a new character. lol. It won't stop all cheaters, but it'll sure make them worry.
Nice [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Be sure to add the mosquito sounds and laughter to those rooms, and turn up their range/volume [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2003, 01:24 PM   #10
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Muhahaha I did it to someone earlier!! They had Uber stuff, and I dropped them in the room.. (and yes, there is that laughing sound and traps every 3mm) He freaked out and left. I stripped him too. He goes "I gotta go, my shits missin" lol! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hey, if he comes back with a REALISTIC char, I don't mind. [img]smile.gif[/img]