Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2003, 05:10 PM   #1
NobleNick
Quintesson

Guys,
~
~
~
~
(spoiler)
~
~
~
~
~

I just defeated Malavon, after the third try, but am not happy about the way I did it: Basically, after defeating the sympho-guy, I spread my 4 invisible melee masters out around the apartment to keep tabs on the whereabouts of the real Malavon. Then I waited until he got tired of dimension-dooring everywhere and casting area effect spells, and settled down to start producing monsters. My Mage/Thief, Bard and one of the warriors did in the summons while Malavon cooked himself to death with one of his own area effect spells. He was dead before I even engaged his half-dead summons: Effective, but not satisfying. I was wondering:

1.) What is that yellow magic sphere that he is protected with?
2.) Did anyone on this forum kick Malavon's tush fair and square (homoside vs. suicide) without losing anyone? How?
3.) Is/Are the final battle(s) tougher than this would have been had Malavon not fallen on his own sword? I think I phased him once and extracted about 20 points damage, total... over the course of the three battles!!

Thanks!!

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!

[ 08-14-2003, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 05:27 PM   #2
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

I think Malavon protects himself with Protection from Normal Missiles and Globe of Invulnerability, hence the yellow globe. He won't use spells like Resilient Sphere or Anti-Magic Shell, of course.

Oh, yes...I put down Malavon like a rabid dog. Never forget that (normally) he won't re-enter a room into which he has cast an area effect spell, which means you can eventually trap him in one room, then drop in some area-effect spells of your own, as well as your ground-pounders to do a little toe-to-toe action. However, no matter how you slice it Malavon is not an easy foe to defeat.

I should check out his script, add some HoW spells, and toughen him up a little. Why shouldn't Malavon use Improved Invisibility followed by Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting? [img]graemlins/firedevil.gif[/img] Not to mention Disintegrate, Acid Storm, Power Word: Stun, and Power Word: Kill? [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 11:56 PM   #3
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Actually Malavon is a tougher battle (IMHO) than the final battle with Big B. I took him down using summoned monsters to keep HIS summoned monsters at bay and used magical ranged weapons along with buffed melee fighters. Haste solved the problem of not being to track him down quickly enough, although Malavon earned a LOT of frequent flier miles in my fight and my cleric earned her pay BIG time casting healing spells. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I think he ALSO has Shield up, but I will defer to Azred on this one. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 02:16 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Malavon turned out to be a joke for me, but I blame it on his AI Script.

First time I talked about it.

Humour.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 10:18 AM   #5
Lymond
Manshoon

NobleNick,

I share your pain, as I had a similar experience with Malavon last night. I like to believe that he was almost dead when he dimension doored into that purple cloud he put down. I may be kidding myself, however, because I also think that I loosen the mayonnaise jar before giving it to my wife to open.

I ran into Malavon's simulcrum right off and killed him primarily with a couple of poison arrows shot from Seth's bow. Then it wasn't easy, but I defeated the others in that room without taking much damage. I used that +5 hammer on the golems and it was a straight fight against the umber hulks. They were pretty much gone by the time the real Malavon arrived. When he showed up with that yellow globe (which I assumed was protection from normal missiles) I had my party members make an assault with their hand to hand weapons. I got in some good hits when he dimension doored away and my party took chase. Because I didn't know what was in the other rooms, I stayed put and healed up with that bard song- my favorite thing lately. Malavon was very busy casting nasty spells in the other room, but eventually came back for another beating. He left again, and again I stayed. When he came back a third time, he had been turned into a spider. Or so I thought until I read the play by play. It turns out I had killed a phase spider and Malavon had died a lonely death by his own spell in the back room.

I'd almost like to try it again and cast hold person on him or try to stun him for a more satisfying kill.

To answer your question #3, it's been my experience that the difficulty of the battle varies with each party. People on this forum have talked about breezing through battles that I barely survived after four attempts. Then last night, Malavon went down pretty easily and I was surprised he had a badge. I think it's depends on how you've grown your party relative to the fixed difficulty of the enemies in the game.

Sorry about the long post. This is almost a book.

Lymond
Old 08-15-2003, 11:28 AM   #6
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

The Malavon battle isn't hard but I find it requires patience. A fighter and a mage is nice to have.

After initiating back off to corridors
1. Use Cloudkill on the centre room, most of the Umberhulks should die
2. Beefed up fighters with blunt weapons on the Golems, Fighters will take damage but should get the job done. Relax, heal, and save if possible, sometimes it is possible.
3. Always send summons in first to deal with the clone and Maloven, send fighters behind them so they are not targeted first, and can easily retreat from mass cloud spells. If a mass area spell is in effect leave fighters out, and just send in summons. Use ranged combat when area effect spells in effect, beware instant death spells.

This is one of my favorite battles.

[ 08-15-2003, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 02:02 PM   #7
perlninja
Dungeon Master

"What is that yellow magic sphere that he is protected with?"

Remember you can always pause the game and scroll back in the text window to find out who cast what when. Or am I confusing this with Baldur's Gate 2... [img]smile.gif[/img] Once you know the name of the spell you can look it up. In general, it's a good idea for Fighter's to carry both magical and plain Jane weapons anyway; I've noticed that mages are rarely protected from both magical and normal weapons and missiles.

Cheers,

perlninja
perlninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 02:49 PM   #8
NobleNick
Quintesson

Lymond,

I once heard someone say, "The longer the post, the less important it must be what he's saying!" However, I like posts that are long enough to fully get the point across, without droning on too much. Your post didn't seem long at all, at least not nearly long enough to get boring...

Ah, "simulcrum." I knew I had the word wrong.

Whoa, Micah, Level 8 and 9 ??!! I feel like a real weaniee-whomper. Some of my guys are like level 11 and 12... on their second class! (I have been running party members solo through the pay-off for some of the side quests: Heh, heh, heh, Didn't realize I was cheating THAT much...) I am beginning to see that maybe I am more a brute force player and less the tactician that I fancy myself to be....

So, pritchke, I take it that you thumped Malavon's melon directly and put him away fair and square (i.e., not a suicide)?

perlninja, I tried scrolling back, but didn't find anything. Reports don't show for most actions that take place outside the view of the party; and, IIRC, Malavon showed up to the battle already wearing his big yellow ball.

Thanks, guys!!

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!

[ 08-18-2003, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 05:50 PM   #9
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by NobleNick:

So, pritchke, I take it that you thumped Malavon's melon directly and put him away fair and square (i.e., not a suicide)?

Yes, there is a chance he will end up killing himself any battle but if he does you can always load up the game and try again. I like this battle so I don't mind having to play it over.

[ 08-18-2003, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 10:01 PM   #10
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

I'm certain someone has an "improved Malavon" script available for download somewhere on the Internet...I just wonder what they mean by "improved".

Perhaps I'll take a look at this over the next couple of weeks and see what I might be able to tweak.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote