Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2003, 09:44 AM   #1
ShadowChild
Manshoon

Well my SOA still ain't workin! but i still have to entertain myself in work! I know that FOA is one of the best weapons in the game, but has anyone ever used the Dragons Breath halberd? (i think i got the name right) - okay so its not the best weapon in the game but i've been using it to full effect!

probably helps that i've got a certain pair of gaunlets that increase my STR a shedload, just thought i'd sing its praises and see if anyone else loved it as much as i!
Never violate a woman nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.<br /><br /><i>Druss The Legend</i>
ShadowChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 10:06 AM   #2
Jim
Quintesson

Dragons Breath is a supreme weapon indeed. Such a varied range of damage! Unfortunately, it can't even begin to compete with the FoA, since (although similar damage wise) it doesn't have the no save, no resist, cumulative slow effect.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 01:09 PM   #3
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

That halberd starts to shine when using GWW.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:58 PM   #4
Alson
Galvatron

? Methinks it's the other way around. The bigger the ApR rate is, the more Ages trumps Dragon's Breath. It should be obvious enough, as Ages' superiority is in its Slow effect - which is strongly affected by the ApR rate.
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 02:08 PM   #5
IronDragon
Elminster

Whenever I have Mazzy along in my party she always gets Dragon’s Breath. I first gave it to her because it looks to cool for a halfling to be swinging something that big around but it does an impressive amount of damage and like FoA will cut through pretty much any defense.

I have always been of the opinion that Halberds are one of the most underrated weapons in the game. Aside form Dragon’s Breath there is Dragon Bane, The Wave and Blackmist.

Now you have me thinking of a Halfling Kensai with grandmastery in Halbards.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:28 PM   #6
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Alson:
? Methinks it's the other way around. The bigger the ApR rate is, the more Ages trumps Dragon's Breath. It should be obvious enough, as Ages' superiority is in its Slow effect - which is strongly affected by the ApR rate.
Yep, I agree. I wan't comparing them. I once had an Archer with that halberd for secondary weapon and he could help immensely with GWW even against TOB bosses.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:04 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

My Archer is currently toting Dragon's Breath right now, and he wouldn't have it any other way--the only other weapon in SoA that can begin to compare is the Silver Sword (seeing that 1-handed weapons are better given to the other members of my party, most of whom use shields). I, personally, have never found a use for any of the other Halberds in the game (except the Ravager, but the no-Save-Vorpal is just too cheesy to use on anything but the cheesiest of enemies).

On the Dragon's Breath vs. FoA issue, Dragon's Breath's advantages are:
- Greater variety of elemental damage (for 90% of the game)
- Longer range, enabling you to strike from behind your Tanks
- Weapon Style bonuses allow twice the amount of Critical Hits

FoA+3's advantages are:
- Can be used with a Shield
- Available sooner in the game
- Has the no-Save, no-Resist, stackable Slow effect

The Slow is obviously enough to make the FoA the obvious winner, but personally I find it pretty cheesy. I'd like to see a weakened FoA, where it either allows a Save or fires less often.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:42 AM   #8
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
FoA+3's advantages are:
- Can be used with a Shield
- Can be Dual Wielded!
Quote:
- Available sooner in the game
- Has the no-Save, no-Resist, stackable Slow effect

The Slow is obviously enough to make the FoA the obvious winner, but personally I find it pretty cheesy. I'd like to see a weakened FoA, where it either allows a Save or fires less often.
... or is non-cumulative.

[ 05-16-2003, 04:45 AM: Message edited by: Alson ]
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 05:15 AM   #9
ShadowChild
Manshoon

FOA is better i know, but i didn't say DB was better! Just thought i'd confess my undying love for DB! Huzzah!
Never violate a woman nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.<br /><br /><i>Druss The Legend</i>
ShadowChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 12:43 PM   #10
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Alson:
- Can be Dual Wielded!
Yeah, that too!

Quote:
... or is non-cumulative.
There are 4 ways to tone down the Slow:
* Fires on a lower percentage of hits
* Allows a Save
* Made non-cumulative
* Allows for Magic Resistance.

Basically, I want to find a way that can both A) Give enemy bosses a fighting chance by not Slowing them to the point of immobility, and B) Giving your Tanks a way to beat Adamantite Golems in a fair fight, without having to drink a Healing Potion every single round. Since I believe that the Golem Slow that the Golems hit you with is cumulative, it seems only fair to hit them with their own cheese. Allowing a Save vs. Spell might do the trick, as I believe most boss enemies will have better Saves than A. Golems (wild guess here, but it's worth a shot).