Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2003, 09:38 AM   #1
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Tymora's Gamble, Morning Star +4
--------

Seasons ago, there once lived a warrior who was extraordinarily gifted and blessed with an uncanny ability to get himself out of sticky situations; so much so that he constantly boasted that he had better luck than Tymora herself. News of this arrogance reached Tymora's ears and she was understandably not pleased.

Sending a courier to do her bidding, she challenged the warrior to a game of chance. She would give him a heavily enchanted weapon, but with a catch. Every time he uses it, divine dice will be rolled to see if he can beat or match Tymora's own roll. Pride blinding the danger presented to him, the warrior accepted the dare. He did not live to see the next winter.

Special Abilities:

3% chance Maze is casted on the target.
3% chance Maze is casted on the user.
2% chance Flesh to Stone is casted on the target.
2% chance Flesh to Stone is casted on the user.
1% chance Imprisonment is casted on the target.
1% chance Imprisonment is casted on the user.

Equipped Abilities:

Sets Magic Resistance to 0%

Damage: 2d4 +4
Weight: 10
Speed Factor: 4

Opinions?

[ 04-24-2003, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 09:47 AM   #2
Alson
Galvatron

First... is being +6 all that necessary? +4 is more balanced with respect to SoA, or +5 if you're really into "heavily enchanted weapon".

Second, I would like to point out that Death Ward (via a spell or a certain ToB weapon) will nullify 2% out of 4% of potentially fatal effects to the PC, and 1% out of the remaining 2% isn't even fatal for non-soloist. Death Ward lasts long... and most enemies aren't Death Warded. On the same vein... can someone remind me Pro-Petrification's duration?

It has potential. [img]smile.gif[/img]
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 09:50 AM   #3
Annatar
Mephistopheles

The item making frenzy even infected our own Moderator [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
It looks great Dundee, nice story..

Polymorph other is also a nice one to add if you ask me.
It isn't alot of work I guess... (can be done within 2 hours or less)
Old 04-22-2003, 09:54 AM   #4
ShadowChild
Manshoon

Looks good, i like the idea of having to cross your fingers everytime you smack someone with it [img]smile.gif[/img]
Never violate a woman nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.<br /><br /><i>Druss The Legend</i>
ShadowChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 09:56 AM   #5
Malthaussen
Manshoon

A well-balanced item, obviously. Too well balanced for it's story, since the gods, like the House, always take a cut. Hubris traditionally leads to the dice being more heavily loaded in favor of the god offended. [img]smile.gif[/img]

One potential problem I see is that the random effects will, quite likely, have no effect on the user, since his hit points will be (generally) too high to be vulnerable to them (unless he's getting his butt kicked in a battle). The same, of course, could be applied to his oppenents, however. Thus, the special effects in a sense will negate each other, leaving only the sheer combat power of the weapon to be considered. A weapon of this power should certainly require the player to kick some serious butt to get it.

As a matter of personal taste, I dislike instant death effects, or effects that remove a character from my control, and thus would be unlikely to use the weapon. But that's hardly a reason to knock it, so I don't.

-- Mal
Old 04-22-2003, 10:00 AM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Handled the Death Ward issue.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 10:03 AM   #7
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Malthaussen:
One potential problem I see is that the random effects will, quite likely, have no effect on the user, since his hit points will be (generally) too high to be vulnerable to them (unless he's getting his butt kicked in a battle).
A close examination of the weapon's effects will show that none of the effects has anything to do with hit points. Perhaps, Finger of Death's minor damage on a successful save... but that's not way Finger of Death is there. Save goes for the enemy.

You do have a point, though, just not the way you meant it. [img]tongue.gif[/img] It's not about hit points - it's about saves. Since in the late stages of SoA (and there's no way this is a early/mid stage weapon) enemies tend to make their saves about 75% of the time, the effects are quite problematic. On the other hand, it keeps the weapon from being over-the-top powerful - which is a good thing. [img]smile.gif[/img]
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Old 04-22-2003, 10:07 AM   #8
ShadowChild
Manshoon

Seeing as people seem to be fiddling around and creating some decent and imaginative items of late - is there anywhere we could put them for all to see? maybe a little home made items page? Just a thought [img]smile.gif[/img]
Never violate a woman nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.<br /><br /><i>Druss The Legend</i>
ShadowChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 10:11 AM   #9
Malthaussen
Manshoon

Point well taken. What can I say? Up all night (insomnia sucks), out of coffee, eyes bleary, brain nearly dead... mea culpa. [img]smile.gif[/img]

-- Mal
Old 04-22-2003, 10:11 AM   #10
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
Handled the Death Ward issue.
LOL! How... elegant. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

The current solution still suffers from two flaws:
(1) It will also remove other combat protection, which is no good.
(2) It does not remove the Certain ToB Weapon protection, as it's an item effect.
(2.5) It's... unstylish. Jan will disapprove.

How about, instead of going the "Breach and then" route, you try messing around with "Remove Effect : Death Ward"? It should be possible... and it shouldn't be complicated.