Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2003, 09:50 PM   #1
Athranq
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Greetings all,

First question is a generic question regarding leaving summoned creatures in areas. If I summon a creature (or turn undead to my side) and leave the area while they are still up, do they count against the "five summoned creatures limit" regardless of the time that has past?

I ask because I've left areas with summoned creates still active and subsequently returned, sometimes much later, and the first thing I've seen has been a "Skeleton unsummoned" (or similar) message and sound.

If they do count against this limit, how does one forceably unsummon monsters without having to wait them out?

For the second question, some background. I'm in Chapter 3 and have a basically neutral / evil party, with the exception of Minsc:

Athranq (NE)
Korgan
Minsc
Viconia
Jan
Yoshimo

To justify Minsc in this party, I think of him as a faithful pet. Simple, affectionate, but with big teeth. When he speaks up and questions my nasty acts, I'm usually pretty blunt but he always thinks I'm kidding so it works for all of us. I've only really performed one act that was morally reprehensible (see below) and my reputation is now 16 so Minsc and Boo are happy heroes (Korgan and Vicky are starting to complain so I'll have to do something about that).

The problem is that I have just noticed that the spell and stealth buttons are permanently greyed out for Minsc. In his record screen there is, however, no indication that he has fallen. That is, it still says "Ranger" and he's still Chaotic Good. I don't recall ever seeing a message to the effect of "Minsc has lost his ranger abilities".

(Possible Chapter 3 spoiler)
I sided with Bodhi against the Shadow Thieves. Given Minsc's racial enemy is Vampire, could that have caused the fall? Nothing in his dialog indicated that he was even aware she was a vampire. I imagined myself explaining to him that she was just very pale, like those albino hamsters. I did take the morally reprehensible assassin option (framing the Shadow Thieves) when presented. Maybe that was it. hmm.

So, does a fallen ranger (or paladin) display their fallen status somewhere so I can verify or should I accept the lack of ranger abilities as the necessary proof?

Thanks,

'Ranq

[ 03-18-2003, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Athranq ]
Old 03-18-2003, 09:53 PM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Paladin and Ranger become Fallen if your reputation at one point ever get to 6 or below.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:03 PM   #3
Buster_Wiz
Dungeon Master

I don't know if I remember correctly, but doesn't platemail have an adverse effect on stealth abilities?
Buster_Wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 10:15 PM   #4
Athranq
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ah okay, so he's probably not fallen (my reputation has never fallen below 9 or 10). I had thought about the platemail and/or other items but had tried removing them one at a time to no avail. I've never been really flush with inventory space (and use Minsc as a pack-dog) but I'll try making him nekkid and equipping one item at a time.

Thanks,

'Ranq
Old 03-18-2003, 10:48 PM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

The first question is a bit problematic, as it seems to vary from machine to machine. Generally, the GLOBAL Timer Variable works properly and when enough Game Time( not Real Time) has passed, the summon is removed from the summoning limit count.

The unsummon animation that you see is merely a sideshow for you to see when you are in the area and a summon has been unsummoned in the past but you were not there at that point then.

I have personally witnessed unsummoned messages in the city districts when I returned in Chapter 6, despite that fact that I have been away for months( Game Time), and have cycled through several dozen summons, and had no problems with the summoning limit count.

However, some people have reportedly suffered a bug whereby the GLOBAL Timer Variable is messed up, and they are forced to make sure that all their summons are unsummoned in an area before they can move on or suffer the consequences of having a smaller summoning limit count.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 08:21 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

The "summons left behind still count toward summon limit" question is an old and famous one, and seems to vary from system to system, and whether or not you've installed the patch & Fixpack. Play it safe: When you're sure you won't need it anymore, kill it yourself (or Rest, if you need to).

Armor heavier than Elven Chain Mail will block Stealth, and grey out the button. If Minsc (or any spellcaster) has already cast his full arsenal of spells for the day, the Spell button will be greyed out too.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:38 PM   #7
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

Athranq, I know that this is a stupid question, but I feel it needs to be asked anyway - have you had Minsc try to memorize any spells yet?
Old 03-19-2003, 09:37 PM   #8
Athranq
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hmm, will try the elven chain... it's currently rotting away in my pack (awaiting Imoen with fingers crossed). Cheers. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Regarding memorising spells, a wise man once told me, "The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked." However, I have previously had him cast spells (at least I am pretty sure I have). Worth a double check though. Thanks. [img]smile.gif[/img]

'Ranq
Old 03-19-2003, 10:55 PM   #9
super_smasher3
Dungeon Master

Anthraq, I like your quote: "The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked."
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever belives in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16
super_smasher3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 12:41 AM   #10
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by super_smasher3:
Anthraq, I like your quote: "The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked."
I always kinda preferred "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people."