Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2004, 07:28 PM   #1
uss
20th Level Warrior

This topic is not about Akira Kurosawa. It is about the old anime movie called Akira.

I've heard that this movie was the first hugely popular anime in the US. Due to the awesomeness of this movie, I have no doubts about that.

This movie was superb. Features a cool soundtrack and some graphically VERY nice scenes. In my opinion, one thing cult animes Akira(1988) and Evangelion(1995) have in common is that they're both way ahead of their time. They show that animated flicks can be more than 'just cartoons.'

I think everybody should see this movie, so they could know what *some* anime is like(Stressing the word 'some' since there's anime from all genres). I truly hope to see this movie in cinemas in the upcoming Estonian movie festival. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:14 AM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Love akira, I got it in a pak with Ninja scroll and Ghost in the shell, All great movies IMO.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 03:19 PM   #3
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Akira exhibits what I call the "great blob of all" ending -- meaning that for some reason, the evil monster at the end of many anime movies becomes some amorphous blob... thing. I find it pretty annoying.

Other than that, the movie is superb. Up until the blob moments start getting out of hand, I think it's a great movie.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:45 PM   #4
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I feel alseep while watching that movie, so I only saw some random parts.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:58 PM   #5
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Akira exhibits what I call the "great blob of all" ending -- meaning that for some reason, the evil monster at the end of many anime movies becomes some amorphous blob... thing. I find it pretty annoying.

Other than that, the movie is superb. Up until the blob moments start getting out of hand, I think it's a great movie.
In all the time that I've watched anime, I've never actually seen a fleshy blob apart from the one in this movie. Could you name some of the many anime movies where there is one?

Also, Tetsuo wasn't as much an evil monster as he was a regular unpopular kid with superpowers that he never should've had.

Hey, I found a post in a forum that explains it: "Essentially Tetsuo was gaining power too fast for him or his body to control. Also remember the guy needed drugs that the government provided to control his power. Since his powers were growing exponentially, Tetsuo's body had to grow to control the growing power inside of him. Hence why he became the big blob."

Anyway, glad you liked it too! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
I feel alseep while watching that movie, so I only saw some random parts.
That's a shame. So, did you fall asleep because the movie didn't interest you or because you started watching it at a bad time? Might I remind you that IMO, the english dub isn't nearly as good as the Japanese version? [img]smile.gif[/img]

As for me, I watched through almost all of the movie eyes wide open.

[ 08-16-2004, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: uss ]
Old 08-16-2004, 08:05 PM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

In answer to your question uss, my experience with anime may be limited, so I may have incorrectly identified a "trend" in anime. For my own part, I have seen a good number of anime movies where the monster/demon/etc. is some many-tentacled blob-ish beast. Of course, the majority of my anime collection is.... well, movies you don't discuss on a family forum. I'm sure you get the picture.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:06 AM   #7
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
In answer to your question uss, my experience with anime may be limited, so I may have incorrectly identified a "trend" in anime. For my own part, I have seen a good number of anime movies where the monster/demon/etc. is some many-tentacled blob-ish beast. Of course, the majority of my anime collection is.... well, movies you don't discuss on a family forum. I'm sure you get the picture.
Oh. Hehe. I have heard of tentacled monsters being a trend in *that* kind of anime.

Anyway, here's some lists of the anime I'm talking about. Cowboy Bebop and Neon Genesis Evangelion are probably my favourites of all time. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2004, 10:32 AM   #8
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Bear in mind that the movie is actually based on a Manga Comic (and series) that spent at least 10 times the amount of time on each character, in the mini-series they spent about an hour just on the Doctor that was observing things. It generally takes several veiwings to make it truly cohesive, and even then it doesn't always flow well. It's still one of my favorites though, up there with the first season of Guyver.
Morgeruat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 03:14 PM   #9
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I was tired.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:22 PM   #10
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Akira is an awesome film, and I agree with the other posters that like "Cowboy Bebop" and NGE.

I highly recommend reading the 6-volume manga, it covers a lot of stuff they have to gloss over in the movie because of length.