Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2002, 11:36 PM   #1
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

I haven't gone beyond the 2nd page of the GD forum, but for this place inhabited by RPG junkies I find it strange that there's no thread discussing the Lord of the Rings movie.

I saw it over the New Year and my only regret is that I HAVE TO WAIT FOR ONE WHOLE YEAR TO CATCH THE NEXT EPISODE!!!!!

Any one else would like to comment on the movie?
Old 01-04-2002, 01:23 AM   #2
Lothar

I totally loved it. It may have not been perfect but it was close. Im a big tolkien fan whose read all the novels, and the only thing I think they really screwed up on was the Lothlorien scene. Galadriel is suppose to kind and gentle. Not forboding and gloomy.But other than that I loved it.

Old 01-04-2002, 02:23 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Yes there is, it's in the forum where it should be (Books, Movies and Film).

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...&f=11&t=000352

Old 01-04-2002, 04:03 AM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
I totally loved it. It may have not been perfect but it was close. Im a big tolkien fan whose read all the novels, and the only thing I think they really screwed up on was the Lothlorien scene. Galadriel is suppose to kind and gentle. Not forboding and gloomy.But other than that I loved it.

Yes...not to mention that they left the whole interaction between her and Gimli out. Well, there's only so much they can squeeze into a 3+ hour movie, of course, and I thought they did admirably with most of it.

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 01-04-2002, 08:54 AM   #5
Lavindathar
Harper

They left out TOM!!!

I was so dissapointed. How can you leave out Tom and the Barrow Downs?

Pah. But aside from that the film was ace.

But as someone did point out a few weeks back, Legolas does shoot an arrow from his bow incorectly.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:05 AM   #6
Sir Byronas
Mephistopheles

There were many diferences from Tolkien's book. A big mistake (in my opinion) is that they didn't show Gimli at all! This was one of my favourite points in the book. Anyway, the movie was awesome and the battle scenes looked so real!!! I can't wait until the next episode!
Old 01-04-2002, 10:42 AM   #7
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

What? No one's complained about Elrond yet? Well, I'm going to...
*rant mode on* who on EARTH picked the actor for Elrond??? It's ridiculous! I looked at him and I saw the agent from the Matrix! Elves (even half-elves) are supposed to look NICE, and Elrond was supposed to be FRIENDLY, at least friendlier than that! *rant mode off* grr...
well, apart from that and several other minor inconsistencies (like the fact that Gandalf meant to go from the Shire to Isengard to Bree in the same time that the hobbits go from the Shire to Bree *cough*) it was a very good movie. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2002, 11:49 AM   #8
MagiK

Good movie if you aren't one of those wonks who want to adhere strictly to the original novels (Which Im not) I loved the movie [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Balrog was done very well I thought, and some of the swooping camera angles gave me vertigo [img]smile.gif[/img] Few films manage that with me [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-04-2002, 12:47 PM   #9
Merkin
Manshoon

quote:
Originally posted by Kaz:
What? No one's complained about Elrond yet? Well, I'm going to...
*rant mode on* who on EARTH picked the actor for Elrond??? It's ridiculous! I looked at him and I saw the agent from the Matrix! Elves (even half-elves) are supposed to look NICE, and Elrond was supposed to be FRIENDLY, at least friendlier than that! *rant mode off*

"Do you hear that, Mr. Baggins? That is the sound of inevitability.."

My reaction was exactly the same as yours the first time I saw it. The second and third times, I was able to appreciate Elrond a little more. Tolkien does *hint* that Elrond is not as nice as he seems. Good, yes. Nice, not necessarily. Jackson chose to bring out the Machiavellian, manipulative side of Elrond. And I actually think, on reflection, that this may be a good thing. It jolts us out of that pre-conception that elves are nimble humans with pointy ears. They are...alien...other, and have an agenda all their own. And I thought Hugo Weaving did a good job of capturing that.

Like a lot of things about the movie, Peter Jackson chose to tell the story *his* way. A spot-on re-creation of Tolkien it is not. Tellers of legends and myths have done this throughout history, and I don't think we can fault him for it.
Old 01-04-2002, 02:44 PM   #10
Jorath Calar
Harper

I just saw it and I loved it, okey, Arwen was a little out of place, and Tom was missing, but other than that, WOW!!! The Scene were Galadriel was tempted by the ring was awesome. One of the Coolest special FX I've seen