Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2006, 04:14 PM   #1
MagiK

[img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] What a total pisser. There is a technology out there for High end TV's called "CableCard" bassically it is a PCMCIA card sized card that you can plug into a Television set that has the appropriate slot.

This small unobtrusive card would remove the need for the titanic sized HD/Digital Cable boxes (about twice the size of the regular cable box). In two weeks I have had 4 technicians and 10 CableCards tried on my new TV, and not one worked. It appears that Comcast can't figure out how to make the technology work. CableCard has been out for more than 5 years and other cable vendors have had them working for years, (Yes there have been minor problems) but Comcast appears to be the only company that can't get it to work at all.

Now after the 4th Tech and 10th card, the Comcast Rep that I called has informed me that Comcast is no longer offering the CableCard service at this time but may again at some point in the future.....of course they are more than willing to rent me a gigantic sized set top box to go with my HDTV.....taking up twice the room of an ordinary cablebox....and consuming more power and requiring a second remote.

Of course since the Cable Companies have each part of the USA locked in as a virtual monopoly they have no competition and thus have no reason to try and please their customers....it is their way or the highway. You know if they cant get the friggin cards to work, can't they at least reduce the size of the set top box? Jeeeez this thing is like something out of the 1940's...

rant rant rant mutter splutter [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2006, 04:15 PM   #2
MagiK

I posted this hear so that any other Comcast prisoners don't bother buying a high end TV expecting to use Modern Technology with it...unless they change providers.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:23 AM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

We've got Time Warner here, but it's good to know that you have to check things like this out before investing your hard-earned money!
Old 01-13-2006, 09:28 AM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I also have Time Warner, but thanks for the warning MagiK! We will be moving in a couple years and that just might take us into ComCast world, which I'll try to avoid now.

[ 01-13-2006, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 01-13-2006, 09:58 AM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

MagiK? Who's MagiK?

I have had a good expereience with Direct TV, believe it or not. However, the fact my condo association went with them instead of Comcast meant I also could not get cable internet. So, I got stuck with DSL.

But between Direct TV and DSL, though they are both the poorer cousins in the industry world, I have very few complaints. For now. And I hope saying so doesn't jinx me.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:18 PM   #6
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Only if you say it backwards thrice while looking into a mirror. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

Digital phone, digital cable, digital cable internet. No worries here...unless the modem's batteries die like they did last month. [img]graemlins/erm.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/5bloodymurder.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote