Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2002, 02:02 PM   #1
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Hi!I have just start soloing with Bard first time.I decided for Skald kit wich is very good.I have soloed the game twice but bards are cool.I am just at the beggining of Irenicus Dungeon.What Equipment do you suggest?I put WP like this
*Flail
*Two handed sword
*2 weapon style
1 more thing but i cant remeber

And what stats is the best to roll...

Thanks!!

Xen
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 02:23 PM   #2
Sir Exxon
Zartan

At that stage of the game, I suggest you dual and not use the Two-Handed prof. And I see you have put a point in Flails, which is good.
Go to Nalia's Keep, and do the quest. Get the Flail of Ages, the definate best Flail in SoA. Then, I would just get some decent temporary sword, like Belm in the Trademeet-quest, and use these as a combo until you have gained a few levels. When you have, I suggest you go for the Celestial Fury.

Stats are pretty difficult on all Bards. You should be fairly strong and dexterous as a warrior and rogue, but also intelligent and charismatic as a Bard. I suggest something like this:
16 Str
16 Dex
13 Con
16 Int
10 Wis
17 Cha
88 points, should be doable. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 03:40 PM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

If you're soloing as a Bard, why did you choose Skald? That's really only useful if you have tanks in your party, unless I'm missing something. Far better would have been "Blade" with the Offensive/Defensive Spin maneuvers. But that's just my take on it...best of luck to you! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,
-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 05:53 PM   #4
Butterfingers
Drizzt Do'Urden

Solo Skald... A few hasted skeleton warriors, Skald stays invisible with the cloak of non detection while singing for the skeleton warriors = so much dead stuff that you wont believe it.

Take the same Skald, same tactics, have him cast webs, summon a few spiders, then sing = let the bodies hit the floor and collect the loot.

Same Skald again. Hasted and buffed Earth elemental (6th level spell) While the Skald is safely invisible, Earth Elemental cleared half of the Elven City of it's Golem problem before dying. Also, said Earth Elemental can kill most of the Drow city.

Skald with summons, invisibility spell, and cloak of non detection is utterly disgusting cheese that is pretty much unstopable.

Skald with party actually has some problems, as some times party members get in the way. Lets face it, a level 18 or higher Skald firing a Skull Trap can kill most of the said party in the blink of an eye. (18 d 6 damage is nothing to laugh at folks)

Heck, later in the game a Skald does not even need weapons. Just walk around with nothing in your hands. It looks cooler [img]smile.gif[/img]
Butterfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 06:36 PM   #5
BlackJack21
The Magister

Yes, but if I'm not mistaken with ToB and a certain ability a solo blade can use the exact same tactics.
BlackJack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 10:02 PM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackJack21:
Yes, but if I'm not mistaken with ToB and a certain ability a solo blade can use the exact same tactics.
Only better.

With ToB installed, there is simply no way a Skald can hope to hold a candle to the Blade. Especially if you want to dualwield.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 01:29 AM   #7
Butterfingers
Drizzt Do'Urden

Maybe I should make this a bit clearer. My bad. In vanilla SoA, a Skald has more use. He starts with a better song. Not everybody has ToB.

But yes, Blades are utterly lethal. I would almost venture to say in plain SoA, the Blade or the Skald are the most powerful characters if used properly. A well balanced blend of magic, steel, and useful abilities, but, only if built, then used properly. I took a Bard through BG. I came out in the end with 19/19/16/15/15/19 stats. I copied the char file and made both a Skald and a Blade to try out in two different games. Skull Trap has to be the Bard class' best spell. Since they can get to be a higher level then a sorcerer or a mage, they can potentially do a lot more damage. Skull Trap nest and then a well placed Spook kills dragons dead in seconds as they pee their pants and run away from you right into the Skull Traps.
Butterfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 10:57 AM   #8
karlosovic
Drizzt Do'Urden

wow some nice ideas there. I'm not into soling, my problem is usually "but I want 8 characters, not 6 !". Anyway, just started a new game with the thought "what havent I tried before ? Bards ! and evil characters !" so I'm just starting with a Neutral Evil Skald, Viconia and Korgan, and I'm casting around on the net for some evil NPC mods (just downloaded Valen).