Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2000, 12:30 AM   #1
Drukus

Ahhhh, a windoze question....
Because windows is a bit screwy after re-installs or upgrades, particularly to win 2000, or Nt. The best answer would be to back up your saves, and anyother vital files, and re-install W&W.
Best possible answere i could think of.
Toad Village is for Toads!
Drukus MCSE! hehe
Old 12-16-2000, 09:26 AM   #2
TalkMan

Something strange happened... W&W runs fine till I had to reinstall Win98SE and W&W of course... since then I get a black screen instead of the town area... and cannot do everything...
If I take a look at the options and go back to the townscreen, the option screen remains on place... only the two arrows (left and right) of the townscreen are visible then...

Newest drivers, DirectX8 (even reinstalled 7 and doesn't work), same effect in software and D3D-Mode... there is only one difference after Win98-reinstall: Win98 is now booting from the second HD, because I installed Win2000 on the first one...

Does any wise guy know the answer to this quest ?

Regards
TalkMan
Old 12-16-2000, 02:53 PM   #3
xenotoca

Ok can think of three possible causes.

1 The windows 2000 bug, W&W was not made to run on Win2000 the Avi files need decompressing and it will then work fine. If You originally installed on Windows 2000 and decompressed the Avi files then perhaps the avi files will still need decompressing as Win 2000 is stil present on the computer although you think you are booting into Win98 SE.
2. A bad install. Is the uninstall option working or do you get the message uninstall file not present (or something like it) this is a sure sign of a bad install. You will have to delete the Activision folder manually and then go to the control panel and use the add and remove to remove the registry entry for W&W. Turn of all TSRs set screen mode to 649 by 480 16 K colours double check virus checker is disabled and reinstall. If all works set your option in the game and exit you can now reset your screen res to whatever it was and all should be OK.
3. Ther can be problems with dual boot systems and it may indeed be that the boot from drive 2 is causing the problem as I assume both systems (dont have 2000 as it is a buisness OS the upgrade from NT) install to a file called windows and W&W is greating a registry entry to look for the AVI files on drive C:
Why not install to the Win2000 drive and decompress the AVI file. To do this you will need a program (Freeware I think) called VirtualDub , any half decent search engine should find you plenty of sites with it available to download.
Old 12-17-2000, 04:09 AM   #4
carg
The Magister

Hope you've got the patch, because included in a WWTechHelp.DOC. Search this file for 'Codec'; I guess that'll solve your problem.
carg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2000, 07:44 AM   #5
TalkMan

now it works.. has been a video compression problem... found it in this patch-doc

U are Ukabu !