Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2004, 06:08 PM   #1
Jorsh
Dungeon Master

Sunglass Man

I just bought this game and was very excited by it. I am a big fan of D&D and can't wait to try out 3rd edition. My only problem is that this game runs so slow on my system. Is there anyway to make it more playable? I started a game yesterday and it took me about five minutes just to walk out of the first room and talk to some twin guy. When I click on a spot for my character to move, it takes a while and then he just shows up there. I really hope I don't need to buy a new computer or return this game.
Jorsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 06:44 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to Ironworks!

I hope we can help you.

1. Are you referring to problems Online or Single-player? (I assume both)

2. Also...I would love to see your PC stats. As much as you know. Do you know how to find this information?

[ 01-04-2004, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 01-04-2004, 07:22 PM   #3
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Did you install any textures? Which ones? You can disable them. You can also turn video quality to its lowest, disable a lot of fluff on the settings menu... That might help a bit.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 07:23 PM   #4
Jorsh
Dungeon Master

I have not gotten to try multiplayer. I was just planning on maybe finishing the first campain in singleplayer and then venture into multiplayer.

On your second question, I assume by PC you mean my computer, and not my player character. My computer has 128 mb of ram, 32 bit virtual memory, 16 mb 3dfx Voodoo3 3000D AGP. I'm pretty sure the CPU is 500 mhz, but I forgot how to check for sure. I'm running on Windows ME.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:51 PM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Illumina gave some good advice. Try turning those items mentioned down, as well as anything else you see fit to lower in quality. You will be missing alot of nice pretty stuff, but at least you will be able to play in normal speed.

Let us know how that goes, if you choose that route.

Of course, an upgrade on your computer would not hurt, and you could improve on it's performance cheaper than you might think. You don't have to have the fastest, newest stuff out there to get good speed from your system.

If it were me...and I am not the smartest guy on this forum for tech stuff...but this is just me...I would get:

1. NVidia graphics (you can buy a good one under $100)
2. Double the Memory
3. Double that Processor speed at least
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 08:10 PM   #6
vesselle
Hathor

please don't be surprised if you continue having problems with your video. nwn is an OGL game. unfortunately the version of ogl that was used by the voodoo designers was proprietary and non-standard. or rather, since they went out of business, it has become non-standard.
i hope you get it working, as it's a very great game. but don't get HotU. your system is well below the minimum recommended for that expansion and would prolly not be able to start it.

here's hoping you get it tweaked and are playing soon! [img]smile.gif[/img]

V***V
Old 01-05-2004, 01:03 AM   #7
warnie
Dungeon Master

i just got anew comp and the game kicks ass , my old comp was much slower , and i had to wait , but its still kool.
warnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 06:18 AM   #8
andrewas
Harper

Jorsh, that comp will probably be OK if you get rid of that Voodoo card. Nvidia bought 3DFX a few years ago but are not providing any form of support. And the glide API was on the way out anyway. A geforce4 Ti will probably run on the same motherboard and won't cost to much.

You CPU is a little slow, but with a good video card that wont matter so much. If you want to upgrade it, it will probably mean a whole new motherboard and new RAM to go with it.

And lose winME at first oppertunity, it is pretty much the worst version of windows available.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:06 PM   #9
Jorsh
Dungeon Master

I tried to lower the quality, but it was already pretty low and I turned off all effects that I could. It still runs slow. What makes me mad is that even the menu screen is slow, where all I am doing is moving the curse through the options. The mouse won't move smoothly. I think I will try to buy a new graphics card. Thank you for all of the help. ANyone know a good site to buy one from?
Old 01-05-2004, 06:52 PM   #10
magnetism
Manshoon

Get as big a ram chip as will fit in your computer and a Geforce 3 ti or better video card.

Read reviews at www.tomshardware.com

Go to to pricecheck the better internet prices.
www.pricewatch.com

Use the 32 bit texture, and turn off all the eye candy.

The voodoo card does not support direct x 8 nor is it a full implimentation of OpenGL. This is your primary problem.

READ: Do not spend more than $300.00 upgrading this computer as you can buy a VERY usable new system for well under $600.00.

Good luck: Anticipating this game I upgraded to Athlon 1700 512 RAM and and geforce 4. It still runs the game great. But I also have top of the line SCSI Ultra160 drives.

EDIT: Andreas Windows Me has a bad rap for no other reason that they charges full price for a new os. To fix the problems that windows 98 had and should have bean fixed free. I used ME on a laptop as a Software developement machine and never had a problem in 2 years of Heavy use everyday. Also my comp iliterate Girlfriend who used it for Law school HATED NT(4.0,5.0) with a passion so I left it be.

Besides that have you ever use NT 3.51 or windows 95.... crist man ME is a god send compared to either of those.

[ 01-05-2004, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: magnetism ]