Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2001, 01:33 PM   #1
Lavindathar
Harper

And for all you popstars,teenieboppers and hip-hoppes,this post concerns real musicunk,Rock and Metal!

I wanna ask a question,and make a general observation.Why do people persist in calling "Pop" groups,bands?The definition of a band,basically means that they are talented,and they can play(and sometimes) write their own music.Westlife aint a band.They are a group.

Now,my question:It just requires a response:

For all PROPER music fans,you will have all heard Anthem,by Blink 182.Now,as that is one of the greatest songs the boys have done,and if you are a fan,you will know that on the forthcoming album:"Take Off Your Pants And Jacket",that they have put Anthem Part II on.Now,this is the most awaited song in a long time,just the title gives it great meaning.It must be extremely good to be called "Anthem".I downloaded it last nite,and I have to say it is great.But some people dont like it..what are your opinions.

And people,me calling pop and stuff is my opinion,please dont post responses countering them,and saying it is proper music.Please?

------------------
Neither Darkness Nor Light,Good nor Evil Will Prevail.

Only Lavindathar.

[This message has been edited by Lavindathar (edited 06-06-2001).]
Old 06-06-2001, 01:37 PM   #2
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Blink182

499!!

------------------

Ever wonder if illiterate people get the full effect from alphabet soup?
Old 06-06-2001, 01:41 PM   #3
Lavindathar
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
Blink182
Ok,I get worried when u say that. Especially with you being American.You are joking right?

------------------

Only Lavindathar.
Old 06-06-2001, 01:46 PM   #4
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I have to admit I'm a little confused. Blink is alright I guess, but they are pop now to. Pop is hardly a genre, it just means popular. Music that is accepted by the masses in general instead of small followings. Are you asking if we like the song? And if so, what does all the other stuff about what pop is have to do with the question?

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)
Old 06-06-2001, 01:51 PM   #5
Lavindathar
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
I have to admit I'm a little confused. Blink is alright I guess, but they are pop now to. Pop is hardly a genre, it just means popular. Music that is accepted by the masses in general instead of small followings. Are you asking if we like the song? And if so, what does all the other stuff about what pop is have to do with the question?

Yo,I dont know.I just typed.Monotomous.In the region where I live,Blink 182 are looked down upon,they are BAD.Hardly anyone knows them,and they are not classed as pop in my eyes.True,some songs are poppy.But that can be good.Don't get me wrong,I wasn't slagging off POP really.E.G - Green Day(Ive seen em live) are my fave band,and Minority is 100% pop,but it's the best song on the new album.

Now,the question:I don't know,I was just referring to Anthem,and whether anyone has had the privelage to hear the Part II,and what they thought.

------------------

Only Lavindathar.
Old 06-06-2001, 01:57 PM   #6
Rikard

Blur Rox

You're English Lav
keep to your Roots
Nothing better then (the old) Blur

------------------
Now Imagine this Signature Only in Red. That's the way suppost to be

The Last Of the Red Fluffies

Member of the Ancients Club (@ age 16 )
High Magician of the Order of the Holy Flame

"Dream a Dreamers Dream And Know It Is But A Dream"

[This message has been edited by Ziroc (edited 06-07-2001).]

Old 06-06-2001, 02:01 PM   #7
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:
Yo,I dont know.I just typed.Monotomous.In the region where I live,Blink 182 are looked down upon,they are BAD.Hardly anyone knows them,and they are not classed as pop in my eyes.True,some songs are poppy.But that can be good.Don't get me wrong,I wasn't slagging off POP really.E.G - Green Day(Ive seen em live) are my fave band,and Minority is 100% pop,but it's the best song on the new album.

Now,the question:I don't know,I was just referring to Anthem,and whether anyone has had the privelage to hear the Part II,and what they thought.

They aren't pop there? They are all over MTV, and the radio plays them 24/7 out here. I would definately classify them as pop. If you want punk that isn't pop, I would say NOFX, MXPX, The Living End, Pennywise, and Bad Religion.
Those are punk bands that aren't really mainstream.

BTW, I have heard anthem and I think it's a good song. My favorite Punk "Anthem" would be Brohymn by Pennywise though.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

[This message has been edited by MILAMBER (edited 06-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Ziroc (edited 06-07-2001).]
Old 06-06-2001, 02:04 PM   #8
Lavindathar
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
They aren't pop there? They are all over MTV, and the radio plays them 24/7 out here. I would definately classify them as pop. If you want punk that isn't pop, I would say NOFX, MXPX, The Living End, Pennywise, and Bad Religion.
Those are punk bands that aren't really mainstream.
Yeah,I know.You have to take into account you live in America.But don't worry,I really like Bad Religion,Living End (The Aussies Singin Punk??),Pennywise,Mellincollin and NOFX.I've never heard of MXPX. It's all good. But yeah, over here,people don't really like it,and if i asked 100 hundred people if they have heard of those bands,not many would have!

------------------

Only Lavindathar.

[This message has been edited by Lavindathar (edited 06-06-2001).]
Old 06-06-2001, 07:28 PM   #9
jabidas
Silver Dragon

I would consider anything played on the radio or that gets in the charts to be POP no matter what it pretends to be. Essentially its all cynical run around there have been loads of bands like limpbiskit for a long time and there is nothing special about them, they think there rude so what you want offensive get the sex pistols screw all this pretentious garbage saying people are reveloutionary the genre dosnt matter its all the same a product of various fat middle aged sales people who only really give a shit about the bottom line of a balance sheet. The mere fact they get in the charts mean they are do you think there because people suddenly found out about them by word of mouth its just good marketing. It says a lot about us when we believe something so obvious and stupid is a new way of thinking when the reality is your manipulated by buisnessmen with graphs, reality is there can be nothing new because people cant break our system of chains and documents and legality since the 80s the buttons have been rewind and repeat with minor variations. There is no way forward, culture is in deep freeze just question please if all you do is quetion and ask why and find out your own ansers can we ever get out of the stupid neverending cycle of work your guts out till 60 and end up in a retirment home without ever thinking because of our ridiculously accelerated lives. no feeling.

------------------
Old 06-06-2001, 07:41 PM   #10
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by jabidas:
I would consider anything played on the radio or that gets in the charts to be POP no matter what it pretends to be. Essentially its all cynical run around there have been loads of bands like limpbiskit for a long time and there is nothing special about them, they think there rude so what you want offensive get the sex pistols screw all this pretentious garbage saying people are reveloutionary the genre dosnt matter its all the same a product of various fat middle aged sales people who only really give a shit about the bottom line of a balance sheet. The mere fact they get in the charts mean they are do you think there because people suddenly found out about them by word of mouth its just good marketing. It says a lot about us when we believe something so obvious and stupid is a new way of thinking when the reality is your manipulated by buisnessmen with graphs, reality is there can be nothing new because people cant break our system of chains and documents and legality since the 80s the buttons have been rewind and repeat with minor variations. There is no way forward, culture is in deep freeze just question please if all you do is quetion and ask why and find out your own ansers can we ever get out of the stupid neverending cycle of work your guts out till 60 and end up in a retirment home without ever thinking because of our ridiculously accelerated lives. no feeling.

ummmmm what??

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."

"I've put my trust in you, pushed as far as I can go. For all this theres only one thing you should know....."